Recorded my first project a few weeks ago. Could you guys provide feedback?

• Members

So I recorded this a few weeks ago. The signal path went Strat -> ME50 -> Blackstar HTIR -> Garageband. I'm hoping you guys will take a listen and provide some feedback. I'm currently trying to write video game/movie score type music with no lyrics at the moment. Pretty much something along the lines of Prodigy, Linkin Park, Hip Hop, Random sounds.

Anyways let me know. You guys can be brutally honest too. I can handle it.

http://soundcloud.com/elsupermanny14/tracks

• Members

Pretty much something along the lines of Prodigy, Linkin Park, Hip Hop, Random sounds.

That description totally turned me off :o

But this isn't all that bad. I mean its not my thing, but it is what you advertised. Your timing is good. playing is alright. songs sound fully formed. the vocals on the second song aren't terribly out of key, the volume messes up a little on the second verse. the whispering thing is silly, i do that myself :0 ) I don't what to say, its not bad, but not my cup of tea what so ever.

• Members

That description totally turned me off
:o

But this isn't all that bad. I mean its not my thing, but it is what you advertised. Your timing is good. playing is alright. songs sound fully formed. the vocals on the second song aren't terribly out of key, the volume messes up a little on the second verse. the whispering thing is silly, i do that myself
:0
) I don't what to say, its not bad, but not my cup of tea what so ever.

Hey thanks for the feedback! Really appreciate it! The second song, was recorded by my high school band back when I was 16... I'm 27 now! haha. The song that I recorded as my first project is the one titled "Guitars vs. Lightsabers."

Thanks again!

• Members

First track: Very poorly written, very well executed.

Regarding the writing, you really ought to introduce some elements of syncopation on things other than percussion. That chord progression is deader than a doornail with the emphasis on the one beat, you just can't do that any more without some serious emotion over the top of it, and your solos didn't do it.

The track sounds like you are playing with recording, and were looking to invent a reason to see how things sound. Not good enough.

Second track: Hey, now. Dynamics! Better writing, and much more emotion in the performance. However, the arrangement needs help, as does the mix. Mix is too flat; you probably ought to multitrack some of the guitar sounds, reduce the cymbal sounds on the chorus, and get the guitars more on top. I also personally don't care for the "whooahs" on the chorus; reduce to single vocal.

I used to do this for a living, I don't want to be a pain. I would say that you have enough skill to at least compete for work as a writer for soundtracks, and as you mention this is your first attempt - good for you. Recommend you listen obsessively to your favorite recordings and spend a lot of time working on:

* leaving 'space' in the mix (not filling in the whole spectrum of sound)

* arranging a song so that you don't have just 2 or 3 parts repeating in the same way (same volume, same phrasing, etc.).

Hope you're not offended.

• Members

First track: Very poorly written, very well executed.

Regarding the writing, you really ought to introduce some elements of syncopation on things other than percussion. That chord progression is deader than a doornail with the emphasis on the one beat, you just can't do that any more without some serious emotion over the top of it, and your solos didn't do it.

The track sounds like you are playing with recording, and were looking to invent a reason to see how things sound. Not good enough.

Second track: Hey, now. Dynamics! Better writing, and much more emotion in the performance. However, the arrangement needs help, as does the mix. Mix is too flat; you probably ought to multitrack some of the guitar sounds, reduce the cymbal sounds on the chorus, and get the guitars more on top. I also personally don't care for the "whooahs" on the chorus; reduce to single vocal.

I used to do this for a living, I don't want to be a pain. I would say that you have enough skill to at least compete for work as a writer for soundtracks, and as you mention this is your first attempt - good for you. Recommend you listen obsessively to your favorite recordings and spend a lot of time working on:

* leaving 'space' in the mix (not filling in the whole spectrum of sound)

* arranging a song so that you don't have just 2 or 3 parts repeating in the same way (same volume, same phrasing, etc.).

Hope you're not offended.

No man, no offense taken. I have really tough skin and don't take things very personal. I thought the feedback was great. I have a couple of questions if you don't mind helping me with them?

1. When you say the chord progression is dead, do you mean it's just a poor chord progression in general, or that it just gets boring and overplayed?

2. I'm not that great at writing solos (as you can tell haha), what do you think of non-conventional solos? Rhythmic noise and stuff like that? That's really want I want to focus on.

3. Also, as far as the solos themselves, The first one with the bends I know sucks, but what about the tapping at the end of the song? I personally really liked the tapping at the end of the song and hope you were not referring to that haha.

By the way, I WAS playing with recording for the first time haha. It was my first attempt at recording a "complete" song with layers and harmonies. The second track was from my high school band 11 years ago, so I don't think I'm going to be working with that. I just posted that for fun.

Since you mentioned you used to record for a living or some kind music production, did you work mainly with musician's trying to make albums, or did you also work with soundtracks and things like that? Any chance you have some input on what makes good soundtrack music in general?

Any other feedback you want to throw in? I'm always eager to listen to anything that will teach or help me grow.

Thanks for your honest feedback!

Archived