Need a new delay pedal

• Members

So, I recently sold my Empress Superdelay (didn't like the two modulation options) and now I am looking for a new delay pedal. My main gig at the moment is playing ambient, dotted 8th delay...U2ish type stuff.

My needs are: Dual delay, presets (at least 2), warm repeats, variable modulation, tap tempo

Wants: Something that can do weird sounds (EHX type weird), tempo read out, stereo out, trails and run off a one spot.

What say you HCFX?

• Members

Haven't tried one myself, but have you checked the Vox Delay Lab...

A little more than what you asked for maybe, but otherwhise it seems like it covers everything you mensioned, except I doubt you can power it with a one-spot.

It basicly looks like it might be like a more affordable version of the superdelay that *might* have better sounding modulation, but I'm just goin on the reviews/clips I read/saw...

• Members

It doesn't have to be a single pedal. I've thought about getting another echo park and maybe a deluxe memory boy, but I don't know if that is exactly what I want.

AFAIK, it does not do dotted 8ths. Maybe that is old info.

There are some ways around it. Setting the subdivison to 8ths and tapping on the 1 and the 4 of the beat is one way.

The other way is dial in a dual delay to do quarter notes and dotted 8ths. You have to do it by ear because it doesn't have subdivisions on the dual mode, but once you have the ratio set properly by ear you can then re-tap at whatever tempo you like.

• Members

So, I recently sold my Empress Superdelay (didn't like the two modulation options) and now I am looking for a new delay pedal. My main gig at the moment is playing ambient, dotted 8th delay...U2ish type stuff.

My needs are: Dual delay, presets (at least 2), warm repeats, variable modulation, tap tempo

Wants: Something that can do weird sounds (EHX type weird), tempo read out, stereo out, trails and run off a one spot.

What say you HCFX?

+1 to the Delay Lab. I use one myself and despite how deep it is in terms of features, it isn't hard to use. If you turn the "sync" feature on, you can actually use the time knob to select specific rhythms to your delay, with dotted eighth being one of them. As for the weird stuff, it can do plenty of that. It has a pitch shifting delay ala the Boss PS-3, but it also has another mode that allows you to select the intervals in the repeats and it goes from there, IE set the interval to a minor 7, the pitch of each repeat will go up by a minor 7. Beyond that, it's just a really solid delay pedal. It's the "DL-4 killer" that's actually lived up to the hype. The Delay Lab does everything the DL-4 does, and more. Not to mention the Delay Lab has 10 preset banks with 3 presets per bank, giving you even more possibilities.

• Members

What about the Visual Sound Dual Tap Delay? It syncs to one universal tap tempo, runs on a 1Spot, has modulation though not sure how weird it is. It doesn't have the Ms display though. Otherwise, it might work, for half the price of a Timeline. I would check out the Vox though, seems to be a lot of delay for a good price.

Archived