NGD: Pawn Shop Score

algernon7

• Members

Went in to a pawn shop in Prairie Du Chien, WI while hanging with family, and saw this bugger on a stand. The note said "AS IS - ELECTRONICS DON'T WORK."

It was an Epiphone Special SG - nothing too grand, but not a bad guitar. Straight neck, but the body was a bit beat up, and it looked like the person who owned it ate BBQ rigs and forgot to wash their hands before playing.

$29.99. Yeah buddy.

I also got the guy to throw in a DOD EQ pedal on the shelf for $15. Not a bad score!

The plans are to refinish the body and modify the heck out of it. A buddy of mine is an electronics wiz, and is trying to convince me to put a light-controlled oscillator in place of the neck pickup. I might just do that. I'm thinking of dropping it to a one-pickup guitar with a coil split, and filling in the neck pickup cavity.

I'm also thinking of a "lace" finish for the body, where you lay a piece of lace fabric over the body and spray over it so the pattern transfers. As a side note - anyone have finishes like that that have turned out well?

Pics to follow - photobucket is being a brat.

EDIT: Pics. These were taken after I'd pulled off the 5 rusty strings, the bridge and tailpiece, and attempted to start removing the medical tape the previous owner had put on the body. That was a sticky mess!

cuPQ4E

cuPPZG

cuPPY5

cuPPVu

• Members

My work IP is banned on tinypic =(

I tried uploading to flickr and pasting here... That doesn't seem to work either. Or, I'm a total moron, which is also highly likely.

Oh well. Just picture a crappy black Epi SG Special. =) Sorry dudes.

• Members
Went in to a pawn shop in Prairie Du Chien, WI while hanging with family, and saw this bugger on a stand. The note said "AS IS - ELECTRONICS DON'T WORK."

It was an Epiphone Special SG - nothing too grand, but not a bad guitar. Straight neck, but the body was a bit beat up, and it looked like the person who owned it ate BBQ rigs and forgot to wash their hands before playing.

$29.99. Yeah buddy.

I also got the guy to throw in a DOD EQ pedal on the shelf for $15. Not a bad score!

The plans are to refinish the body and modify the heck out of it. A buddy of mine is an electronics wiz, and is trying to convince me to put a light-controlled oscillator in place of the neck pickup. I might just do that. I'm thinking of dropping it to a one-pickup guitar with a coil split, and filling in the neck pickup cavity.

I'm also thinking of a "lace" finish for the body, where you lay a piece of lace fabric over the body and spray over it so the pattern transfers. As a side note - anyone have finishes like that that have turned out well?

Pics to follow - photobucket is being a brat.

EDIT: Pics. These were taken after I'd pulled off the 5 rusty strings, the bridge and tailpiece, and attempted to start removing the medical tape the previous owner had put on the body. That was a sticky mess!

7546118284_b5f0d95653.jpg
guitar4
by
chulteng
, on Flickr

7546118054_17c8e516b8.jpg
guitar1
by
chulteng
, on Flickr

7546117960_b03381fe86.jpg
guitar2