open console on kickstarter.... for gaming... raise $1m in the first day....

deviever

• Members

There's something about a big HD TV and digital surround sound that fills up a living room. Shooters, platformers, sports games, arcade classics and experimental indie games just feel bigger on a TV screen. It's how most of us grew up gaming.

Deep down, you know your best gaming memories happened in the living room.

You busted your ass just to find out the princess was "in another castle." You fought bosses that told you repeatedly how much "you suck." You taped a blanket to half of your screen so your friend couldn't see where you were. You traded the best players onto your team just so you could have the perfect season. And you did it all on the TV.

I feel like these are gross childhood memories. and I feel bad for people that have these as awesome times. :(

...climb a tree

• Members

Yea I have been fighting the 100 dollar option all day. Figure if this thing has access to android market it's totally worth it. Four core Tegra 3 with HDMI and wireless joystick/touchpad control? Bitchin. I've been waiting for somebody to unmarry Android from phones and tablets then add value to the box.

Even if a single playable game never comes out Netflix+Amazon video+gmail+gchat would allow me to drop XBL which would pay for the unit in the first year. Hell I'd go back to PC gaming!

• Members

I'll be watching for what this does in the future, but I'm not sold on it at all. android as a (heavily fragmented) platform is fine for cellphones, but i don't know if it'll take off as anything bigger than that or be able to deliver more than a scaled up cellphone game. yeah, great for indies to have another option outside of PCs and cells, but I'd be surprised if any major released get published/ported in the next few years, which is really where this system will make or break. plus the fact that all games are supposed to be "free" for the first gen, how many publishers will divert resources away from 360/PS3/nintendo/+next gen/+ windows & some OSX to give {censored} away? I see it as being able to play flash games on your PC.

*8GB of storage? yeah, def not getting any big releases on that. maybe good if someone could set up snes/genesis emulators though.

• Members

I'll be watching for what this does in the future, but I'm not sold on it at all. android as a (heavily fragmented) platform is fine for cellphones, but i don't know if it'll take off as anything bigger than that or be able to deliver more than a scaled up cellphone game. yeah, great for indies to have another option outside of PCs and cells, but I'd be surprised if any major released get published/ported in the next few years, which is really where this system will make or break. plus the fact that all games are supposed to be "free" for the first gen, how many publishers will divert resources away from 360/PS3/nintendo/+next gen/+ windows & some OSX to give {censored} away? I see it as being able to play flash games on your PC.

so, you're unsure because android is currently a tablet and mobile operating system? that seems incredibly shortsighted.

i believe it was kevin costner in field of dreams who said

"if you have demand for an open-sourced gaming platform that allows players to opt out of the console+pc oligarchy, the capitol could potentially drive the democratization of the gaming schemata as a whole, which is a symptom of the larger digital landscape"

• Members

I'm pretty sure that if a kickstarted was opened to help kids in Africa it would not get more than a few $.

Videogames? Here there are, 2 million $$.

here's the thing. a) people are selfish. it happens everywhere. in spite of this, b) how the hell can we care about people in africa? the problem there is more than an economic one. it's a political, religious, social, philosophical problem that inhibits virtually every single possible aspect. throwing my dollars at the problem won't solve anything; ESPECIALLY in the face of multi-million dollar donations and, conversly, stalling progress of the socio-political structure of an entire nation

tldr: no

• Members

so, you're unsure because android is currently a tablet and mobile operating system? that seems incredibly shortsighted.

i believe it was kevin costner in field of dreams who said

"if you have demand for an open-sourced gaming platform that allows players to opt out of the console+pc oligarchy, the capitol could potentially drive the democratization of the gaming schemata as a whole, which is a symptom of the larger digital landscape"

haha. it's an unproven platform with no backing in an already crowded field. many established tech companies have tried to put out consoles and failed, estabished CONSOLE companies have launched platforms and found themselves almost completely shut down as a result, many more unknowns have tried to release consoles, some open source, and have failed. if they can make it more than a year and get a foothold strong enough to convince developer to put out more than blown up phone games and minecraft, awesome, maybe I'll check it out at some point. for now though, I'm not expecting a whole lot.

• Members

haha. it's an unproven platform with no backing in an already crowded field. many established tech companies have tried to put out consoles and failed, estabished CONSOLE companies have launched platforms and found themselves almost completely shut down as a result, many more unknowns have tried to release consoles, some open source, and have failed. if they can make it more than a year and get a foothold strong enough to convince developer to put out more than blown up phone games and minecraft, awesome, maybe I'll check it out at some point. for now though, I'm not expecting a whole lot.

Yup.

The success of mobile (android in this case) games is that they're mobile. They're usually simple, always cheap or free, and you can play them when you're waiting to get your hair cut. Play for a few minutes and stash it back in your pocket. Perfect. But what this project does is take that mobility away and tethers you to your TV. Once you're attached to your TV, you have way more compelling options (Xbox, PS3, etc). Yes they cost more, but the product is more.

And besides all that- Xbox Live Arcade has an ass full of low price, high quality games that can be downloaded. Legitimately great games for $10. Scoop up a used Xbox for $150 and you can get your money's worth by just playing games on the Live Arcade. Live Arcade also has a big section of indie games for $1 or $3. From the description, this Ouya project sounds similar to the indie section of Live. It's an outlet for small developers to publish small, low budget games. And hey, you can hack the {censored} out of an Xbox just like this kick starter is saying you can with their system. Microsoft might not appreciate it, but it's doable.

edit: I'm not really a gigantic penis, I just sound like one in this post.

It's cool that people shelled out $1.9 mil to play their phone games on their tv. I just think it's funny that it's being sold as "it's time to upend console gaming". Good luck with that.

• Members

will definitely wait until it is released, but certainly a neat idea. i just cant really see it taking off as a mainstream thing :idk: too many young spoiled kids with parents who buy them all the latest and greatest from sony, microsoft, nintendo...

also i'm not sure how licensing will go for the bigger name games and sports games...

• Members

will definitely wait until it is released, but certainly a neat idea. i just cant really see it taking off as a mainstream thing
:idk:
too many young spoiled kids with parents who buy them all the latest and greatest from sony, microsoft, nintendo...

also i'm not sure how licensing will go for the bigger name games and sports games...

This. It's too openly innovative to be mainstream.

• Members

I think you are underestimating the mod crowd. Open source, cheap entry fee, system specs universal (developing for known specs), highly modular- if it is is paired with ease of distribution like they plan- devs will really flock to this.

Cheap, ease of distribution, known hardware specs. You used to have to choose two. Now you get all three or more if his goes well.

I don't want to be pessimistic, because if this goes well we could see a whole new line of tech develop for gaming that isn't just for the savvy.

For me, getting friends to play minecraft was a hassle- you had a range of specs to work with. Some friends has nice gaming pcs, and others had laptops with integrated graphics. A lot of people don't know how to download a file, install and setup the game to play. Lastly- getting everyone on a server, getting them a VoIP program (and teaching them to keybind push to talk), and having them whine that they didn't like it (until weeks later they die of malnutrition). Hassle hassle hassle. This tech, if successful could be a scalable version of Xbox live or a console version of steam or a console that apple might have developed.

An all in 1, scalable, easy to use, friendly console that has a low entry fee with bang for buck.

• Members

here's the thing. a) people are selfish. it happens everywhere. in spite of this, b) how the hell can we care about people in africa? the problem there is more than an economic one. it's a political, religious, social, philosophical problem that inhibits virtually every single possible aspect. throwing my dollars at the problem won't solve anything; ESPECIALLY in the face of multi-million dollar donations and, conversly, stalling progress of the socio-political structure of an entire nation

tldr: no

Excuses. It's an insult to the humanity to rise $1.8M in 48 hours just for a video gaming project.

• Members

I feel like these are gross childhood memories. and I feel bad for people that have these as awesome times.
:(

...climb a tree

Um...we did that too as kids. My childhood was filled with running around, playing kickball, building snow/tree/pillow forts, playing in the woods, mixing stuff in chemistry sets, digging for rocks, soldering wires, shooting off rockets, burning crap, playing hide and seek, AND saved princesses, invaded planets, searched for treasures etc on Nintendo.

Maybe it's you we should feel sorry for.

• Members

Excuses. It's an insult to the humanity to rise $1.8M in 48 hours just for a video gaming project.

You have to be joking. So far there are 18,246 backers, and neither you nor anyone else has any idea what sort of charitable giving habits any of those backers have outside of this kickstarter.

If you want to use Kickstarter to raise money for Africa, go for it. You only get to bitch about it if you try and fail.

• Members

Um...we did that too as kids. My childhood was filled with running around, playing kickball, building snow/tree/pillow forts, playing in the woods, mixing stuff in chemistry sets, digging for rocks, soldering wires, shooting off rockets, burning crap, playing hide and seek, AND saved princesses, invaded planets, searched for treasures etc on Nintendo.

Were we best friends growing up?

Archived