Bloc are back - new single 'Octopus'

• Members

That is all kinds of terrible.

Silent Alarm is probably one of my favourite albums and along with their early EP's and B-sides that early era Bloc Party is incredible. But nothing they've done since then has got me as excited as that. I think this new stuff just feels completely devoid of any emotion, Kele sounds like a weird parody of Kele and musically it feels simplified and thin in comparison.

H8 it. I think I'll just pretend they split up.

• Members

I think they peaked at "Weekend in the City" personally, though not many people agree with me. "Silent Alarm" had good songs and was cool, I like it. Weekend in the City is one of my all time favourite albums because the songs are incredible - great riffs, heartfelt lyrics, and they took a chance by ditching the attitude of cool detachment that permeated Silent Alarm in favour of moving melodies and personal themes. It's an album that I don't listen to much because often I find myself moved to tears by it, I think it's beautiful.

But it wasn't cool, so the masses thought it was worse than Silent Alarm. Ever since then they've been pushing this cut+paste groove/ noise collage style, desperately trying to be cool again. And I think all that's happened is that the songs have suffered. They can do all the clever computer trickery they want to make an arrangement but the songs still need to be good...

• Members

It sounds like Blur, the whole sorta-silly indie pop vibe complete with "woo" bits.

I liked it, and the solo. If it was a Muse song the tapping solo would have been played completely straight, here its a departure from how light and restrained the rest of the song is.

• Members

Intimacy was truly horrible. This... it's just average. The guitar solo starting at 2:10 is horrible and the whole song feels very half-assed to me.

Gotta give it to you HfD. You're reviews are consistent.

I enjoyed a bit of their first album but not enough to pursue any more. I'll listen to this when I get home this evening.

• Members

Gotta give it to you HfD. You're reviews are consistent.

I enjoyed a bit of their first album but not enough to pursue any more. I'll listen to this when I get home this evening.

I liked the first two albums but the hype was ridiculous. The music weeklies tried blasting them up to some sub-Radiohead plateau of greatness and the plaudits were massively premature. Then Intimacy came out... tracks from that album sound far better live than on the record which was a bloated mess, no room in the production for the music to breathe.

Archived