I have heard good things about the Xotic EP booster but...

• Members

More seriously though, it's got a pretty unique emphasis point IMO. I've not used a lot of the popular boosters out there, but where the SHO adds "top end sparkle" and other popular boosters really just add volume... I find that the EP boosts the lower midrange and upper frequencies to add a different kind of punch when you kick it on. I've read that some people really don't like that, but I think it's kinda cool.

• Members

It doesn't {censored} with your tone as much as other boosters...especially in the lower mid range...especially at 18 volts. I've used various drives as clean boosts as well as the Fulltone Fat Boost, the Z-Vex SHO, and a few others. The only one that's more transparent and literally doesn't {censored} with your basic tone at all is the Keeley Katana, which is my primary clean boost. Where you really notice the transparency of a boost (besides your clean tone) is when you use it after an overdrive, distortion or fuzz. Some clean boosts sound great clean and you don't notice much of a tonal change but throw some dirt in front of it and sometimes the pedal that appears transparent clean starts to color things when pushed. The Keeley doesn't color the basic tone no matter what I throw in front of it. It's my benchmark. The EP is a close second but it will color your tone a bit.

• Members

And it has internal dip switches for adjusting EQ to taste.

And it's 1/3 the size of most pedals.

And it's clean.

And it's well built.

And I know a couple players who liked to use it so much at different points in their board they now own two.

• Members

It doesn't {censored} with your tone as much as other boosters...especially in the lower mid range.
..especially at 18 volts. I've used various drives as clean boosts as well as the Fulltone Fat Boost, the Z-Vex SHO, and a few others. The only one that's more transparent and literally doesn't {censored} with your basic tone at all is the Keeley Katana, which is my primary clean boost. Where you really notice the transparency of a boost (besides your clean tone) is when you use it after an overdrive, distortion or fuzz. Some clean boosts sound great clean and you don't notice much of a tonal change but throw some dirt in front of it and sometimes the pedal that appears transparent clean starts to color things when pushed. The Keeley doesn't color the basic tone no matter what I throw in front of it. It's my benchmark. The EP is a close second but it will color your tone a bit.

And this kids is why you don't trust the internet

• Members

It doesn't fuck with your tone as much as other boosters...especially in the lower mid range...especially at 18 volts.

Yeah.... based on my 9V experience, I couldn't possibly disagree more. Sorry. :idk:

• Members

And this kids is why you don't trust the internet

Sorry, but depending on how you set it up it's true. I'm not saying it doesn't color your sound...I'm saying that it does it a lot less than other boosters depending on how you set it up. I can't speak to how you set up your rig so... :o

• Members

Expensive?? I paid $90 over here. What are they going for over there?

And I wouldn't exactly call it "hit and miss." Go out and do some more research. Listen to clips. Read reviews. That's what I did before I bought one and I wasn't surprised or disappointed at all with what I got.

• Members

Expensive?? I paid $90 over here. What are they going for over there?

And I wouldn't exactly call it "hit and miss." Go out and do some more research. Listen to clips. Read reviews. That's what I did before I bought one and I wasn't surprised or disappointed at all with what I got.

I have read reviews and listened to it. A lot of mixed views some good sounds some not so good. I am unable to try it where I am, and if I went into london I would likely have to order it which means buying it. I will look at other similar pedals and then make a decision, but for now I am happy to hear peoples views on it.

• Members

I have an EP Booster and a SHO clone, and I prefer the EP. The SHO is a really good booster, but the EP has more punch to it, and seems

to works better to boost other dirt pedals IMO. I've set the eq dip switches on the bass boost setting, and it sounds great with my Strat and Jaguar,

which have lower output pickups.

• Members

I have an EP Booster and a SHO clone, and I prefer the EP. The SHO is a really good booster, but the EP has more punch to it, and seems

to works better to boost other dirt pedals IMO. I've set the eq dip switches on the bass boost setting, and it sounds great with my Strat and Jaguar,

which have lower output pickups.

I'm thinking of building a booster circuit into my next diy jazzmaster, planned on going for a sho clone...Sounds like I should maybe rethink that:)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I've heard good things about the EP booster- I thought about looking into one since I have a BB Preamp as an OD I use. I've heard of people getting EP boosters and just leaving them on to sparkle their tone

I also have a Keeley Katana however, which is an AWESOME clean boost in its own right.

• Members

Anyone use this pedal for a bit of crunch/overdrive on its own?

I noticed in some videos that it gets a bit overdrivey, is the only way to get this by turning the knob right up for more volume?

yeah, itll actually break up on its own. i dont happen to enjoy that much, though. its sort of a rough, raspy type of break up. im sure theres uses for it but i didnt care for it.

Archived