Best high gain plexi pedal?

hugbot

• Members

When I used guitar rig 4, I mainly used the "jump plexi" model. Now I've got a POD HD and I'm mainly using the plexi bright model.

So I guess I should get a plexi voiced pedal, I do prefer to have the gain the whole way up though for pseudo fuzzy high gain sounds, so it needs to be able to do heavy stuff.

I've tried the wampler plextortion and a joyo crunchbox clone (which I like, but I want to try something else) , what are my other options?

• Members

Hmm, hows an OCD for higher gain sounds?

This has to be one of the more polarizing dirt pedals around. I think it sounds pretty good, some people love it, some hate it. Not sure why it has its detractors. It does seem somewhat rig dependent, but what pedal isn't these days.

• Members

Or...and I know this is a crazy idea...just get a Plexi.
:idea:

I agree with the sentiment here, but, if i understand him right, he wants a plexi voiced high gain pedal. A plexi alone isn't really high gain. Also, many people face budget issues with that. A pedals a lot cheaper than an amp, after all. Hence the whole "amp in a box" thing.

That being said, i think the ocd is great for high-ish gain stuff. I used one for a metal band for a while. I love that pedal. It's very rig dependant and amp responsive though, so it'll only be marshall voiced if you're playing it through a marshall, which i was.

Not sure if i'd call it "plexi voiced", but the suhr riot is based on the marshall shredmaster and is a great high gain pedal. Doesn't get much love around here these days, but it's definitely in the marshall ballpark as far as voicing and is worth checking out.

• Members

I like the versatility of the tonebone hot british. You can really dial in the EQ to suit your rig/taste. I run mine with the gain almost all the way down (appx where the first mark is) and the volume around 1 o'clock to get good definition with some light crunch (great dynamics with that setting/gain low) and EQ dialed relatively flat (I do bump the low mids for extra body), but you can crank the gain knob and go nuts if that's what you prefer. It will get fuzzier at higher settings. I boost it with a Timmy when I need a little more gain. Another plus is that they are carried by tons of retailers, so you can actually demo one to see if it's right for you.

• Members

Radial Hot Tonebones , but it can't be battery operated.

The Rocket Animal, is also your best bet , becasue its a plexi in a box pedal, AND has what they call the "snarl"mode, which is supposed to sound like a Modded late 60's Plexi.

Lot of the confusion was, is , and will always be that ealry marshalls , also called Plexis, and I guess they could be becasue they have Plexi panels, but should actually, at elast to avoid confusion be called JTM45's/Bluesbreaker , and don't sound like the later 60's ones, which is what most people mean by "Plexi amp *( which is the Superlead Plexi) ..so there is always going to be some confusion becasue really what most people mean by' Plexi" are the later 60's amps like Hendrix used and later Van halen modified for his high gian Plexi sound. used in BoG. The terminology is all screwed up and always will be, because noone will ever know what anyone ever means unless they specify exatly which amp they are talking about.

MI Crunchbox is more like a modern High gain Marshall sound, The Hao Rust driver is a good bet for Superlead Plexi cranked late 60's sound, but not really high gain modded plexi.

More Fender Bassmanesque ala mid 60's JTM45/Bluesbreaker, are the Box of Rock Zvex and Plexi Drive Wampler.

The Lovepedal Plxi/800, is supposed to be a Plexi pedal of course, and I would presume a cranked late 60's style,but I don't know.... and then you get your JCM800 thrown in for good measure.

• Members

JMP?
:idk:

i have a mv jmp 2203, and while it gets pretty gainy, i still don't think it reaches the territory that most people are talking about when they say "high gain", unless of course you put some kind of boost or od in front of it, in which case it sounds awesome. either way, you're also going to have to give up having a clean tone to get one of those to be very gainy. and those are also in the thousand dollar neighborhood and that may be a lot for someone who just wants to try that tone for a bit.

i spent a lot of time looking for a marshall voiced high gain pedal even though i have two old marshalls just cause i wanted to keep a clean tone and have a high gain sound that was true to the natural sound of my amp.

• Members

Surprised no one has mentioned the Catalinbread Dirty Little Secret yet.

I thought of that. That pedal sounds great, but from the demos i've heard and all, it seems to top out at medium gain. More of an od than a distortion. It'll get you close to sabbath territory, but not much further. Catalinbread really leaves the death metal scene out in the cold.

• Members

I thought of that. That pedal sounds great, but from the demos i've heard and all, it seems to top out at medium gain. More of an od than a distortion. It'll get you close to sabbath territory, but not much further. Catalinbread really leaves the death metal scene out in the cold.

The amount of gain a DLS has is entirely dependant on your playing. if you play hard it'll {censored} on your face.

• Members

I'd have to agree the DLS is a medium od, not exactly a hot rodded plexi. Though I guess I have no idea which pedal could come remotely close to sounding like a hot rodded plexi:idk:

If you're serious about it and plan on playing out regularly, just look for a Marshall-esque amp within your budget. A used Blackstar HT-5 (or similar) won't cost you much more than a booteek high gain amp-in-a-box type pedlol, and it'll sure sound a helluvalot beefier.

• Members

I think the point of the DLS is that it tops out at medium gain because it's supposed to mimic the JMP which, as you said, isn't high gain unless it's boosted. Similarly, a lot of people who have one noted that it takes boosting by other pedals extremely well like your JMP.

I think it's weird to say that they're leaving the death metal scene out in the cold, as if they owe it to a "scene" to go outside of their business model to compete in an already flooded fuzz/high gain market.

• Members

I'd have to agree the DLS is a medium od, not exactly a hot rodded plexi. Though I guess I have no idea which pedal could come remotely close to sounding like a hot rodded plexi:idk:

If you're serious about it and plan on playing out regularly, just look for a Marshall-esque amp within your budget. A used Blackstar HT-5 (or similar) won't cost you much more than a booteek high gain amp-in-a-box type pedlol, and it'll sure sound a helluvalot beefier.

I have a blackstar ht40. The gain on it feels very...tight to me, quite modern voiced. I want something a bit looser.

Archived