"Urgent" by Foreigner; guitar tone

music321

• Members

Maybe the tone you are asking about is the guitar playing off the delay repeats.

Remember listening to Foreigners 1st LP with anticipation 'cause it had Ian McDonald of King Crimson/T Rex etc.

Boy, what a disappointment.

• Members

Foreigner are so uncool that hipsters probably actually pretend to like them!

I listen to a lot of music... these days mostly hipster music, or anything with melodic hooks and a creative approach to studio textures. I love Washed Out, Tame Impala, Melody's Echo Chamber, Charlotte Gainsbourg, Chairlift, Grimes, Austra, Neon Indian, Tycho, Real Estate...

But I grew up in the 70s and 80s, so I was raised on Classic Rock, 70s FM Rock, Art Rock, AM Pop, and MTV. Foreigner have rocking riffs. Their melodies are catchy. Lou Gramm is a helluva singer. Granted, their lyrics are crass, testosterone driven, machismo festering diatribes that rival Gene Simmons... but then so are a good percentage of the posts on this forum. So I cut them a little slack knowing that young dudes in 2012 still haven't gotten beyond the fascination of their own phallus. I just look the other way hoping that energy and intelligence will prevail.

Not that you asked, but I felt compelled :o

• 8 years later...
  • Members

all hate aside, Foreigner sold a lot of what we called records back in the day and their music still gets airplay.  that said...what instrument does the swell and dive right after the word "urgent" in the song by that title?  guitar?  synth?

• Members
On 5/19/2021 at 6:22 PM, randel s. said:

what instrument does the swell and dive right after the word "urgent" in the song by that title?  guitar?  synth?

It's a synthesizer. With a few exceptions, it's usually pretty apparent (audibly, that is) what's electric guitar and what's a synthesizer. I'm not a Foreigner fan, but I'm sure web search will turn up what particular synth(s) were used on that song, since it was such a big radio hit. 

Looked up the song on Wikipedia, found out this song was produced by Mutt Lange and he brought in Thomas Dolby to play and program synths and also credits "Michael Fonfara" for "keyboard textures". That's why the video for this song doesn't show any keys players, they were played by hired guns Mutt Lange brought in. 

I actually like a lot of stuff Mutt Lange produced, but I've never really cared for Foreigner. To me, they're on the same level as Styx, the musical equivalent of shredded coconut. I can't STAND shredded coconut and can't understand why anyone would want that bitter, stringy, mealy white sawdust on or in anything they eat. But some people love it! To each their own.