Timeline vs. El Capistan?

woolyh

• Members

Anyone switched from an El Cap to a Timeline? Anything you miss about the El Cap or does the Timeline do the job just as good?

I really like the features on the El Capistan but I have alot of delays pedals lying around and having just one box that does it all would be great (I need a looper too). I haven't really looked in too much depth yet but as I understand it the Timeline tape mode is just the single head mode from the El Capistan minus the spring reverb?

• Members

Went from the El Cap to a Timeline - never looked back.

The ONLY thing I remotely missed about the El Cap when compared to the TL were the multi-head options. I never used the reverb or sound-on-sound, so the Timeline can cop everything else verbatim. So yes, to answer your question - the Timeline's dTape mode is exactly the same as the El Cap, minus the multi-head and spring reverb.

If you rely on the multi-head options or spring, you may be disappointed in the Timeline. However, the Timeline's Dual Delay is much more in depth than the EC, and won't get near as muddy as the EC's multi-head modes - the Dual Delay is much clearer and brighter. It can get warm, but not near as dark and tape-like as the EC... which can be a bad thing in a live mix anyway.

For $150 more than the El Capistan, the Timeline is a no brainer if you want more options. :thu:

• Members

the two multi-head modes on the El Cap are the ones that really have that tape echo (RE-201) feel to them, and are missing from the Timeline. in comparison, the Single head mode of the El Cap and Timeline pretty much sucks. i guess you'd have to ask yourself if the Single head mode on the El Cap does what you need, or if you rely on or prefer the other modes that the Timeline doesn't have.

Archived