Any bassists here?

thom

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've got two basses and a baritone.

My main bass squeeze is a 1989 Ibanez SR1100. I really love that bass. Ash body. Ebony fingerboard. It was supposedly the top of the line Ibanez bass in '89. The neck is a full 34" scale, but still slim and trim enough to be comfortable for my short fingers. I use Elixir 45-105 roundwounds on it. It has active electronics and a P/J configuration, and is sonically a very versatile bass.

I also have a Rogue VB-100 Violin Bass. I wasn't expecting much when I bought it, but it's been surprising me with how well it has held up, and impressing me with how well it plays and sounds for several years now. Again, the short scale (30" or so) makes it a comfortable bass for someone with smaller hands. There's a Pro Review on it up in the Pro Review forum if anyone wants the details. I run 40-100 Rotosound Jazz flatwounds on it.

My bari is a '05 Danelectro. It also has a 30" scale, which is on the longer end of things for a baritone guitar. I tune it B-B, and use 13-62 D'Addario XL's on it.

BassesandBari-1.jpg

• Members

I have an Ernie Ball Stingray HS (humbucker in bridge/single coil in neck) and a black Epiphone Jack Casady bass. I'm in the process of revamping my amp setup but I've got and SWR Bass 750x head and an SWR 2x15 cab and an Ampeg 6x10 cab. Will probably pick up an SVT Classic head and replace the SWR head and cabs with Mesa M6 and M9 heads and Mesa 1x15 and 2x10 cabs for a bi-amped setup.

• Members

you don't have to spend more than about $600.00-$700.00 to get a great bass.

I've owned 5 strings, 6 strings, and 4 string actives. I always come back to the precision because it simply is the best sounding bass imo, it can be subtle or aggressive, very dynamic.

these are the three I play the most

006-4.jpg

• Members

^:love:

No need to hog all the vintage p-basses, sell me one of those sb ones:)

And with a j-bass bridge pu too...I'd drop my "rosewood-only" rule in a heartbeart for that:love:

PS: I checked that G&L L-2000....Nothing with a rosewood fretboard that isn't in violation with the "no gaudy or flashy finishes" rule:cop:;)

• Members

Oh and not sure if it matters, but fwiw, my modest rig:

Gallien-Krueger 400-RBIII and an Ampeg 410HLF.

Nothing too fancy compared to my guitar gear, but more than good enough for someone who doesn't have a band anymore/yet:(

• Members

you don't have to spend more than about $600.00-$700.00 to get a great bass.

I've owned 5 strings, 6 strings, and 4 string actives. I always come back to the precision because it simply is the best sounding bass imo, it can be subtle or aggressive, very dynamic.

these are the three I play the most

006-4.jpg

Nice work. :thu:

• Members

Even though it's only around 3mm thicker at the nut, I find P-bass necks much too wide. I prefer the slimmer J-bass neck, but that's what I've been playing for the last 13 years since I picked up my MIM Jazz.

I prefer the sound of the Jazz pickups to the Precision ones too, and the body shape, but that's all just personal preference. If you want a P-bass get one.

If you don't want a new MIM guitar (I don't know what the quality's like nowadays) look for a late-90s or early-00s one; every one I've played from that period has been good. Or a mid-80s Japanese one, also consistently high quality.

• Members

My amp situation is the tried and true tube SVT & 8x10 cab.

Thom, the rosewood L2k's are out there with mild finishes. Since they are all pretty much custom order, it may take you a while to find one. My G&L LB-100 is Sunburst with a rosewood neck. Sounds like god's balls too. :)

Reachambeau, those P/J's are sweet. What years were they made?

• Members

Oh and not sure if it matters, but fwiw, my modest rig:

Gallien-Krueger 400-RBIII and an Ampeg 410HLF.

Nothing too fancy compared to my guitar gear, but more than good enough for someone who doesn't have a band anymore/yet:(

that's a sweet rig :thu:

I can't sell my sb's, those are my babies :)

• Members

My amp situation is the tried and true tube SVT & 8x10 cab.

Thom, the rosewood L2k's are out there with mild finishes. Since they are all pretty much custom order, it may take you a while to find one. My G&L LB-100 is Sunburst with a rosewood neck. Sounds like god's balls too.
:)

Reachambeau, those P/J's are sweet. What years were they made?

thanks! you got some sweet gear too, love the synths too.

top one is a 76, middle one is a 78, bottom one is an 86 mij.

• Members

Loving that red one, Reau.

My only bass has been a Hoppus signature. It's been nothing short of reliable. I used to be tempted by the PJ combo, but then I found out that Nordstrand exists. I'm about to swap out the SD Quarter Pounder for one of those. So I shall remain just a P guy.

• Members

For $1200 you can get an American Standard P with rosewood in either sunburst or silver.

For under $1200 there are at least 4 or 5 different P bass variations from Fender that will do exactly what you want to do.

• Members

Yeah, for 1200 the bass world is your oyster if you are cool with used, which you obviously are.

You could find something exactly to you specs. Just start hoppin around the bay.

I have one of the Mark Hoppus signatures which I've had since 02. Love that bass. It's got the DiMarzio rail pickups in it. Very nice. Versatile. My bass amp is an Ampeg B100R (the blue diamond tolex kind).

2012-06-15_14-55-03_672.jpg

• Members

I may be in the minority here but I actually like the double P bass (P bass bridge pickup and P Bass middle "neck" pickup). It's a little more rockin' than the P/J combo (which is also pretty nice). I used to have a pair of early 2000's American P/J basses that I dropped some Bartolini passive pickups in and put a Warmoth Tele/J bass neck on that had an ebony fretboard and stainless steel frets...I sold one on eBay and the other to a friend in the hopes that he'd get tired of it eventually and sell it back to me...It's been like 8 years and he's not tired of it yet. :mad:

Archived