Suhr riot clones

thom

• Members

Damn youtube clips giving me major gas:mad:

Anyone know any others besides the Joyo US Dream?

I kinda miss the Suhr Riot I briefly owned. Sold it because it basically did the same thing as my amp's drive channel, only in a more thin and 'fizzy' way. Nice pedal, just not $200 nice impo.

What are my options for a widely/easily available Riot clone? Cheers.

• Members

they're less than 200 on the used market. Like $150-$175 truthfully I had a love-hate relationship with that pedal. Some days it sounded awesome and others it was brittle. Tube distortion is better anyway, stick to the amp
:)

My philosophy as well. I've gone through dozens of distortions (Riot included), and always go back to the amps drive channel.

• Members

Yeah that was the main reason why I got rid of the Riot. It was supposed to be the bees knees of high gain distortions, and it was in fact superior to all the cheaper dirt peds I tried...

But it still didn't have nowhere near the balls/bite/grit of my amp's drive channel.

I wanted three stages of distortion in my set-up, with my amp's distortion as my main source of high gain dirt, and the Riot for all the medium gain rhytm. I wanted them to be similarly voiced, but I gave up on finding a silly solid state pedal that sounds remotely close to the awesomeness of my amp's distortion:)

Still, for my home rig, a DRRI (single channel ofcourse, and at low volumes), I was curious if a Riot would't do a better job than my old Rat. So yeah, kinda worth trying out some $50 clone impo...

• Members

Yeah that was the main reason why I got rid of the Riot. It was supposed to be the bees knees of high gain distortions, and it was in fact superior to all the cheaper dirt peds I tried...

But it still didn't have nowhere near the balls/bite/grit of my amp's drive channel.

I wanted three stages of distortion in my set-up, with my amp's distortion as my main source of high gain dirt, and the Riot for all the medium gain rhytm. I wanted them to be similarly voiced, but I gave up on finding a silly solid state pedal that sounds remotely close to the awesomeness of my amp's distortion:)

Still, for my home rig, a DRRI (single channel ofcourse, and at low volumes), I was curious if a Riot would't do a better job than my old Rat. So yeah, kinda worth trying out some $50 clone impo...

What amp do you run live now? I have a Peavey classic 50, run a Retro-Sonic FA-1 for a clean/semi-dirty boost (depending on how hard I pick), Green Rhino for OD, then the gain channel for high gain goodness. I'm gassing for a Tweaker 88 really bad though....

• Members

I used to have a ton of dirt pedals on the same board until I discovered the louder knob on my amp. My smaller board still consists of a preamp, dirt pedal, boost, and delay, but they are merely to shift the frequency focus of the amp, while the amp supplies the goodies.

• Members

Nice amps, I've always wanted a Classic 30, or one of those older Classic 100 heads, but I've always been over-equiped in the amp departement, and the times I actually was in need of a new amp I never found the right deal for a used peavey...

Anyway, I've just started a new band, so there's not much "live" going on yet besides our rehearsels, but my rig looks this:

AC-30 C2X (cleanish) and Fender Tone-Master (w/ '70s hiwatt 4x12 cab) in stereo. If the band'll take off, it'll depend on a couple of things wether I'll be able to use that stereo set-up for each gig, the size of the venue/stage being the main thing. And though I'd really want to try to always use both amps live, I'll probably end up using just the half stack a lot.

Like I said, I gave up on finding a dirt pedal that can act like a second dirt channel on my Tone-Master. I haven't decided yet on which dirt pedals I'll want on my long-term board for live shows, but right now I'm thinking I'll be good with just my Ruetz'd rat for the few times when I want to add another texture to my amp's (medium gain) distortion or when I want to push one of my fuzz peds, which is sorta the Rat's main purpose atm.

My whole effects/amp set-up isn't nearly as complicated as my incoheren ramblings may imply btw. Bottom line, I might be in the market for a cheap high gain dirt pedal to use at home with the Deluxe Reverb, but it'd be a welcome bonus if the new pedal would be able to be an addition or even replacement for my Rat when I'm playing out....

• Members

do you have a soldering iron?
;)

I do, and I actually used to build peds regularly, both kits and clones I did from scratch. I've already got a pile of unfinished/broken effects laying around, and I don't feel like spending any more time building something new that I might be able to just buy for like $60:lol:

If I do start a new little project, and I've finished everything else (assembling five guitars, 6 peds,...)...I'll get crackin on a hotcake clone. Seems impossible to score one for less than $150 in Europe:cry:

• Members

well, either way the US Dream is probably it. GMD has a demo up and it seems pretty spot on.

Yeah I know, it's just that they're not available in Europe as far as I know. Ordering one from Hongkong or the US would end up costintg me at leat $60, thanks to the shipping and import taxes. Still not a fortune, but for that kind of money I'd personally rather look for a used boss/mxr/dod/ehx locally...

• Members

No idea what this one's based on, probably a Rat or DS-1, but it's about the same price as the Joyo US Dream. I could find it closer to home though, so no $30 shipping costs and no custom fees and import taxes...

[video=youtube;iMafPI-v7d4]

Anyone who has a clue what the guy's saying can fill me in, though I'm sure it's the usual pedal demo crap.

I wouldn't expect to be able to rely on this pedal as my #1 dirt source, but maybe it'll do for just living room noodling...

Anyone know what this DS-10 is supposed the be a clone ofn or anyone maybe ever tried/heard one?

Edit: Just found at least one review that mensions noise issues. Which is the one complaint I have about my Biyang reverb from that same series. Noise is already a problem as it is, I'm pretty much stricly into single coils and I've got a copressor first in the chain that's on almost all the time, and in pretty extreme settings...So atm I doubt I'll change my mind and give the DS-10 a try.

Archived