The thread in which I try to organize all my pedalboard/rig inquiries

npfrs

• Members

Like so many of us, I am constantly afflicted by GAS. I have started numerous threads asking about such and such a pedal or piece of gear, but when the time comes to make a decision, I'm often lost trying to re-find all the good advice (especially with the HCFX tendency to have a laugh in almost every thread). So I'm starting this thread to see if I can keep all the helpful hints and advice in one spot I can reference... also all the inevitable .gifs.

So, please, if I could get your thoughts/opinions/insults about my gear choices or (possible) future expansions, that'd be swell! :wave:

This is my current pedalboard:

7542644692_3f80494ae8_z.jpg

Current signal routing:

Gtr -> Musket -> TU-2 -> POG2 -> MDV-2 -> Comp -> Whammy -> Bi-chorus -> Tim -> Volume -> El Cap -> Space -> M9 -> EP Boster -> 'Rang III

Options I'm considering in the near future:

Musicom EFX III - MIDI control of multiple pedals + presets + throw 2/3 pedals in a single loop for ease of use (POG + Deja Vibe + Comp = organ)

MIDI Solutions 1 into 4 MIDI box - So EFX can send MIDI to Space, Whammy, M9, and potential GR-55

Make second "looping/splitting" pedalboard - Replace the M9 with the EFX and make a separate board with the M9, Boomerang III, Boomerang Sidecar, and Voodoo Labs amp selector + small mixer to mix a floor tom/bass drum, snare, vocal mic, and GR-55 signal in left in of Boomerang, left out to PA system (right in/out for electric/amp set-up)

GR-55 - I do a fair amount of looping and was playing one for quite a bit the other day. I think it could really add a lot to my set-up, although it is costly.

Possible pedal replacements/additions:

I have a Midfi Pitch Pirate I want to place on the board, between the volume pedal and the El Cap, possible replace the Deja Vibe with an Aquavibe when my name comes up, replace the Bi-chorus with a Big Tone Brewery Maggie or a trem pedal, possibly add a Cluster Flux somewhere in the mix, and a wah (MXR CAE or Zvex Wah Probe) at the very beginning, on the floor...

TL;DR

I like to dream, a lot, about things I can't really afford. :facepalm:

• Members

just walk away from the internets for a while... just walk away...

Nothing better then getting away from the old net, I know...

(I'm actually in the studio right now listening to the bassist/drummer do their thing upstairs while I'm in the control room. Last song of the night and the B:ASSMASTER is cranked)

• Members

While Chuck is the voice of reason, my advice would be to continue expanding. For one, the DPP is definitely worth it man! On top of that, being the owner of a delay fetish, I think you could beef that section in addition to the Cap. Timeline or Timefactor would be cool but there are plenty of other options out there that I think could really fit that niche well. Ibanez DE7 comes to mind in terms of a quick, relatively cheap fix.

In any case, sick board! (Sorry, couldn't avoid using ! more than once).

• Members
just walk away from the internets for a while... just walk away...

Late to the party, but this is exactly what I was thinking...

The GR-55 is indeed nice, but there's a zillion other toys out there that could "add a lot to your set-up"...:lol:I've seen worse "overkill noise boards" though, I could definitly see a good use for all those effects, in a experimental band with lots of textures...

But still, you've already got the boomerang, M9, Digitech whammy and a {censored} load of other pricey booteek pedlols...The rest should be up to your fingers impo. If you really insist on spending more just for the sake of GAS, just get whatever switcher or midi controller that would help the most keeping the tap dancing to a minimum.

Oh and btw...Dibs on *anything* in that pic you plan on flipping:love:;)

• Members
Late to the party, but this is exactly what I was thinking...

The GR-55 is indeed nice, but there's a zillion other toys out there that could "add a lot to your set-up"...:lol:I've seen worse "overkill noise boards" though, I could definitly see a good use for all those effects, in a experimental band with lots of textures...

But still, you've already got the boomerang, M9, Digitech whammy and a {censored} load of other pricey booteek pedlols...The rest should be up to your fingers impo. If you really insist on spending more just for the sake of GAS, just get whatever switcher or midi controller that would help the most keeping the tap dancing to a minimum.

Oh and btw...Dibs on *anything* in that pic you plan on flipping:love:
;)

Me + teh Interwebz = :love:

I like the idea of the GR-55 for strings/brass/woodwinds and the occasional piano-type sound, to be honest. I can usually pick-up a stringed instrument and figure it out somewhat, but horns and bowed instruments still get me. It'd be nice to add some of those sounds live using the GR.

My fingers play just fine, but I look at pedals as sound options most of the time. You'll notice I don't really have a "dirt" selection. The Tim (plus my amps) cover the entire range of overdrive/distortion I need, so most of the other pedals are used to emulate different sounds (organ, bass, slide guitar, 12-string, etc). The M9 is a great jack-of-all-trades - when I get called away for songwriting retreats, I take my small pedalboard (tuner + dd-7 + rc-2) and the M9 and that's it. Works wonders!

I'm ready to let the AM Bi-chorus out the door as of yesterday. Sounds amazing, but I'm not as heavy a chorus user as I thought. Funny though, it was my first "boo-teek" pedal and the one that started me on the path that's lead me here. Got it in London, on Denmark St, last tour.

The Deja Vibe is a toss-up on whether or not I keep or flip it. It sounds great, but the Aquavibe also sounds great, soooo....

Also have a Les Lius I'm contemplating flipping.

:wave:

• Members

Added signal routing...

Also, debating my addiction to vibrato-based effects. For example, do I really need a Pitch Pirate, Cluster Flux, Maggie, and Aquavibe PLUS the M9? I own the PP and a vibe already, so is a Cluster Flux really a good addition? Or a Maggie?

• Members

I dont see anything wrong with your board. Write More music.

Nope, nothing wrong with it (or it's more-often gigged 3-pedal counterpart), but change is fun, right?

Also, 16 songs in the can for the new album + 4 more over the next 2 days. Def not letting my board dictate when/how much I write. :)

Archived