NGD - Squier Vintage Modified Jazzmaster - HCFX.. we have a problem..

gambit

• Members

I decided to get straight into swapping the honky tort pickguard for the USA tort i currently have on my Mascis Jazzmaster...

it definitely fits all the holes and everything..

BUT

the bracket holding the rhthym circuit pots is shorter than the USA pickguard by a considerable amount. which means they aren't interchangeable unless you either create your own bracket, or you buy a Fender part (is one even available?)

1003664.jpg

resulting in..

1003656l.jpg

so.. i either buy a part from Fender or i'm going to have to swap the brackets. which means only the honky tort guard will fit the Mascis guitar! :mad:

• Members

Bummer dude! Non-swappable pickguard aside, what are your thoughts on the VM/JM vs the JM/JM?

i'll have to compare once they're all put together again! :)

but intial thoughts..

Neck: Mascis is matte finish and a little thicker. and i prefer that, but the VM is comfortable, pretty quick. same radius on both.

Body: Masics is a pound or 2 heavier.

Pickups: will need to plug in to A/B them, but the VM neck pickup is lovely. has a great balance of lows and brighter highs. Mascis is more middy - powerful/punchy i guess is the term. mid position on the VM is nice and plucky, but i need to adjust pickup heights to balance them up; the VM bridge pickup is super-hot - others were saying the Jaguar neck was 8.something vs bridge pickups 11 ohms (or whatever the measurement is).. ie drastically different. and i can hear that plenty on the VM JM too.

i'll do a video as soon as i get the right bracket - found one here by the way (measured and confirmed: 68mm is same as the Mascis / USA pickguard): http://www.allparts.uk.com/bracket-for-holding-pots-to-jazzmaster%EF%BF%BD-pickguard-with-mounting-screws-p-15670.html

Someone on OSG made it work. I think he had to move the bracket? I'll see if I can find the thread.

edit: Here:
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=56657&p=873298#p873353

He had to do some welding on an anodized gold pickguard. :/

JB Weld. Who would have thought it?

Still, I think I'd rather just have a custom guard cut... probably not as viable of an option on the anodized guards, but for tort or mint, it might be the way to go; that way, you can still use the stock bracket. :idk:

• Members

it sure looks interesting, remember I used to play on a surf green fender strat a few years ago... didn't fancy it back then:P

I think the white one is more me, but I got some time to consider it, first I need to buy a short scale jaguar bass and sell a CV tele(if I got the balls)

• Members

first I need to buy a short scale jaguar bass

Have you checked out
my review of the Jaguar SS bass?
They're really good little basses, especially at their
incredibly affordable price point.

ooh, just picked mine up saturday (got the red) - very pleased, planning alnicos, brass saddles and a tele control setup, otherwise, not changing anything else.

• Members

Have you checked out

yup that's the review that made me want it

was planning on getting a CV jazz bass, but since I'm a guitarist with not the biggest hands in the world(though a squire jazzmaster mascis is my main guitar), the short scale seems more appealing to me... price not bad too:)

• Members

Have you checked out

Bit of trivia. A Squier SS Jaguar Bass is the bass used on No Future (from the songwriting contest). Of course, I put flatwound strings on it and put in an inexpensive handwound p-bass pickup, but that thing plays and sounds awesome. Sits well in a mix i think a little like a hoffner the way i have it set up.

ooh, just picked mine up saturday (got the red) - very pleased, planning alnicos, brass saddles and a tele control setup, otherwise, not changing anything else.

Cool - congratulations!

May I ask - how's the stock bridge pickup on yours? As I mentioned in the review, the one I tested had a pretty weak bridge pickup. Is yours fairly low output on the bridge pickup too?

I actually really liked the P-Bass pickup though. Really fat and punchy, but not muddy like some P-Basses can sometimes be.

Archived