"good" guitars that can be had for cheap

Faldoe

• Members

I've been in a reevaluating my gear position for some time now, due in part to financial reasons but also just a general desire to do more with less, I've sold off extra amps, other guitars, effects. I'm down to one guitar - my LP Custom, which is a nice guitar, but I almost feel like its too nice. Even though its pretty beat (its a 79'), I feel like I want and need a beater guitar. Plus I could get some good scratch for the LP and that could help me out financially.

What are some decent/good guitars that can be had for cheap (sub $300), used.

Bolt necks are fine, copies, squires. Something with a thin neck.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Mexican Fender was my first thought too.

Schecters, assuming you can find one that looks good to you, are well made... often with good hardware and Duncan pickups.

hmm. My friend had a schecter and I didn't like the feel that much...

• Members

MIM Fender, sometimes MIJ Squier, lesser known 70s/80s Japanese LP and other Gibson copies (since the Greco, Tokai,... stuff has completely exploded in price the past few years), 80's shred guitars (Ibanez, Yamaha, etc.)

• Members

I think finding used MIM Fenders under $300 to be a tough proposition, but maybe it's where I live. Squiers even used seem to be around that, not that they should be.

Do you like the LP style? The Agile models are pretty nice, and some are under $300 like this one:

al2000hsbflamewide5.jpg

This one is attractive too:

http://www.rondomusic.com/al2000rootbeer.html

al2000rootbeer5.jpg

• Members

I bought my Epi Trad Pro LP at a President's Day Sale at Guitar Center for around $350, and I love it. Not a thin neck, but it's a great guitar. My strat is a modded Mexi strat and it cost me $350 as well. Changed the pickups in it and it blows away any other strat I play.

• Members

Keep your eyes out for partsocasters, especially in pawn shops. They can be crap, but they can also be gold - and the pawnshop doesn't really know the difference between the two. You can often pick one up for a mere fraction of the cost of the parts.

• Members

I bought my
Epi Trad Pro LP
at a President's Day Sale at Guitar Center for around $350, and I love it. Not a thin neck, but it's a great guitar. My strat is a modded Mexi strat and it cost me $350 as well. Changed the pickups in it and it blows away any other strat I play.

Very nice guitars too.

• Members

MIK Epiphone Dot. My local GC had two for $175 this past weekend, both from 03' but both had issues. I {censored}ed up and instead of putting both on hold right away, the next day they were gone. They played great aside from the issues they had and the pickups were decent enough to not be replaced immediately. I think they can be had for around $300 or less. I'll keep my eyes for one in natural finish but with mahogany neck which I think are kinda rare.

• Members

Peavey Firenza, they usually sell for $200-300 and are terrific guitars, made in USA and designed by the same man who did the Wolfgang. There are both HSS and P-90 versions.

Can't believe this made it to the second page before menioning Peavey.

If you like chortscale with that thin neck, try a T-15.

Otherwise, try a T-25, T-27, or a T-28.....They are great guitars,

• Members

MIK Epiphone Dot. My local GC had two for $175 this past weekend, both from 03' but both had issues. I {censored}ed up and instead of putting both on hold right away, the next day they were gone. They played great aside from the issues they had and the pickups were decent enough to not be replaced immediately. I think they can be had for around $300 or less. I'll keep my eyes for one in natural finish but with mahogany neck which I think are kinda rare.

This. Epiphone Dots are great.

Archived