School me on the Zoom G3

• Members

Yes, you do want one. :D

IMHO, all the modulation effects are spot on, absolutely brilliant. Lots of good reverbs to choose from as well as delays, 40 second looper, knobs for live adjustments, great pedalboard friendly design, practically no latency between switching presets, oh, and tons of presets! The only thing that really sucks is the tuner, which I hope they upgrade with the G3 2.0 / G3X. Some of the amp models are pretty cool as well as dirt, but it really shines in the modulation/time-based effects. Also the tracking for certain things can be off, but Octave mode, for instance, works really well.

• Members

I think they are incredibly useful and sound good for the price. I bought mine to use at home as I don't usually break out my pedal board, but its actually made its way on to my pedal board. Its very easy to use, sounds good, is a headphone amp, multi effects and recording interface. The version 2 software is pretty cool too. I can't really see using six effects at once but its cool to have the option. The tuner does suck, though I haven't tried it since I updated to the version 2 software.

• Members

G3 and G5 are just about the only multifx on the market that has synced drums and looper. They also issued an update to the G3 that allows 5 or 6 (can't remember) stomps instead of 3. A couple cons to the G3/G5 are only one XLR out (no stereo on XLR) and crappy bank (none on G3 IIRC) switching interface on G5.

Lots of good tones in there. I's get a G5 if I wasn't already giving home to a bunch of multifx.

• Members

I think they are incredibly useful and sound good for the price. I bought mine to use at home as I don't usually break out my pedal board, but its actually made its way on to my pedal board. Its very easy to use, sounds good, is a headphone amp, multi effects and recording interface. The version 2 software is pretty cool too. I can't really see using six effects at once but its cool to have the option. The tuner does suck, though I haven't tried it since I updated to the version 2 software.

What?!! there's a v2.0 update!

I kinda went through the opposite process to you. I bought it as a pedal board mod/delay unit, but I started using it as an interface and found the amp sims through headphones (or into a DAW) are pretty decent.

• Members

I tried a G3 for a couple of hours a few months ago and was really impressed by the sound quality overall. There were some oddball effects that I would have never considered buying on their own that sounded really, really good.

• Members

What?!! there's a v2.0 update!

I kinda went through the opposite process to you. I bought it as a pedal board mod/delay unit, but I started using it as an interface and found the amp sims through headphones (or into a DAW) are pretty decent.

Yes! You can download it from the website and gain the new amp models and ability to run six effects at once. Before you install it just back up your presets as the new software will overwrite them.

• Members

Man, I need that v2.0 download! Better get on it.

I love mine. I have a bunch of pedal in front of the amp and have the G3 in the loop. I use it for reverbs, EQ, and noise gate (lots of flourescents in my garage). Sometimes I just grab it for a headphone amp, too. :thu:

• Members

All things considered, IMHO the G3 at the top of the list of compact MFX units. For use as a pedalboard replacer it kills (unless you toggle more than 3 effects during a song with an optional 3 effects always on). As mentioned, the modulation and delay effects are very good. OD/Dist/Fuzz is kinda a mixed bag. The gain levels are really over the top (for example their TS model with gain at noon is more gain than my actual TS9 maxed out) for the most part do capture the general vibe of their real world counterparts. That said for many of the effects, the actual controls of the models don't always match the real world counterparts. If your a stickler for that kind of stuff, you might be slightly annoyed. Amp modeling is good quality, but personally for direct usage it wouldn't be my first choice, though the new v2.0 Deluxe and '59 Marshall can be dialed in to be pretty convincing. You also get some nice oddball effects as well, though some are better than others. My only real complaint is the pitch stuff isn't implemented very well. Though given how ambitious the unit is and its low price, can't complain too much about it. You can read my full review here of the initial firmware, need to update as 2.0 was a significant update.

Man, I need that v2.0 download! Better get on it.

I love mine. I have a bunch of pedal in front of the amp and have the G3 in the loop. I use it for reverbs, EQ, and noise gate (lots of flourescents in my garage). Sometimes I just grab it for a headphone amp, too.
:thu:

v2.0 is a transformative update. I previously felt the unit to crippled for my usage and sold it off. Bought another based on early praise of the update and am glad I did. Fantastic little unit.

• Members

I'm looking for a reverb pedal, and i wouldn't mind replacing my chorus and delay pedal with something better. Whats everybody opinion on using this in the effect loops only for these items, I have all the dirt/overdrive I want up front don't need any more, but if I could use it in the loop for the mentioned stuff and maybe have a solo boost also, does anybody know if there is a function on the G3 for a solo boost in the loop, that would probally seal the deal fro me.

• Members

I'm looking for a reverb pedal, and i wouldn't mind replacing my chorus and delay pedal with something better. Whats everybody opinion on using this in the effect loops only for these items, I have all the dirt/overdrive I want up front don't need any more, but if I could use it in the loop for the mentioned stuff and maybe have a solo boost also, does anybody know if there is a function on the G3 for a solo boost in the loop, that would probally seal the deal fro me.

Yeah, that's how I'm using mine, just for modulations, delays, verbs, and boost. I run mine in front of the amp, but I've tried it in the loop and works perfectly.

For boost, I use a graphic eq. It's better than a simple boost, because you can raise the volume and certain frequencies (mids). Also, you can have it in patch mode, like I sometimes do, and 1 preset down is a reverb boost (rev + eq) , or 1 preset up is delay boost (dly + eq).

• Members

Since your thread seems a little bit trollish, that is

a good question.
:idk:

Wasnt trying to be a troll. But I was wanting to get some insight from people who own the unit. No sense in beating around the bush. I think I want one...just wanted to see if it was worth having

• Members

Pitch stuff is much better in Line 6 stuff, but they don't offer a polyphonic option (albeit with significant latency) like the G3.

that's disappointing. the pitch shifting on the m series was a let down overall. not exactly sure what you mean about polyphony tho....pitch glide on the m9/m13 can track full chords.

• Members

I want to like it but I have yet to hear any clips that have made me say, "{censored} YEAH!!! THAT SOUNDS SO MUCH BETTER THAN (insert other floor based multi effects processor here)" so I haven't bothered to pick one up...plus it doesn't have MIDI, so...
:o

I would not say my experience = "{censored} YEAH!!! THAT SOUNDS SO MUCH BETTER THAN (insert other floor based multi effects processor here)" but, I would also say for $120, it brings "more to the table" in terms of the variety that it offers for the price that it can be found for.

I'll put it this way, in no way does it rival an AxeFX II, both in price and quality of sound.

• Members

I would not say my experience = "{censored} YEAH!!! THAT SOUNDS SO MUCH BETTER THAN (insert other floor based multi effects processor here)" but, I would also say for $120, it brings "more to the table" in terms of the variety that it offers for the price that it can be found for.

I'll put it this way, in no way does it rival an AxeFX II, both in price and quality of sound.

From what I've heard it doesn't really rival the M-9 either. Zoom effects have always sounded kinda thin to me compared to other boxes. I'm not trying to be a hater but they just remind me of bad 80's processors. I like the form factor but the tone just isn't working for me. :idk:

Archived