MXR Distortion + comparison

• Members

Just bought a 1978 MXR Distortion + pedal off of eBay. I was able to get it cheap enough but I am wondering if it is worth it. Are the newer reissues just as good. It is cool to have a vintage pedal but it needs a battery and there is no indicator light. Will I be just as happy with a newer D+? Is there that much of a difference between the tones of the older and newer pedal? Has anyone done a comparison?

I also so what the prices of older D+ pedals went for. It blows my mind that they would go for that much when the original price was less then 50 bucks. The original reciept was in the manual. It was pretty cool to see that the pedal actually came from Veneman's music here in Maryland where I live.

Thx.

• Members

Yeah, I realized what I said after I posted. Oh well. What is this pedal based on. TS9, Boss, or a Rat?

It predates all of those pedals by a bit and the circuit is way different. I don't know which came first but in the same era is the DOD 250 and Ross Distortion, and they're all pretty similar.

I've heard that a lot of people think that the Reissue sounds really bad in comparison, but I haven't compared them. It's such a simple circuit that I doubt there could be a whole lot different. I'd guess the biggest difference is the diodes it uses for clipping. It uses germanium diodes for and the ones it used to use back in the day probably aren't even made anymore.

http://www.pedalarea.com/mxr_distortion.htm

• Members

... Has nice smooth distortion and is very responsive. I just can't tell if it is on or not with out an LED.

Wot? I had one in the mid 90's and it was the most splattery, biting distortion I had ever played. Sounded exactly like H

Archived