Harmonizers, pitch shifters, and octave pedals.

komodo117

• Members

I need something. I'm sure what I need exactly as my knowledge on this type of modulation is pretty much nonexistent. I'm looking for something that can give me some added octaves to my sound, whether it be above or below what I'm playing. I'm looking for something that can cover that Spencer Seim/Hella, Omar Rodriguez-Lopez, Jack White, Tom Morello, Adrian Belew and Don Caballero territory. I know most of them use a Digitech Whammy, Omar uses a Boss Harmonist, and god only knows what Seim is using these days. I've looked into POG's as well (kicking myself for not picking up a used one at a guitar center last year), but it's so damn hard to find videos illustrating to use of such things in the application I intend to use it for.

So recommend me lots of {censored}. It needs to be versatile, preferably able to do both an octave up and down at the same time. I enjoy the glitchy sound of old V1 Whammys (and that new version looks pretty tempting), but I'm not entirely sure that's what I want yet. It also has to react well with really spitty fuzz, so something that's going to soften or sog up my tone is a no-go. Price doesn't really matter, the cheaper the better though. I'm just trying to get an idea as to what else is out there that can produce the tone I'm looking for.

I want a straight up octave pedal too, not an octave fuzz or an octave + a billion other things. I'm happy with my dirt/distortion/fuzz setup, I only want that added layer of modulation.

Mucho gracias.

• Members

I use a PS-6 harmonist. Most of the time it's just for +1 octave stuff, but I also like the S-bend mode, and the detune isn't bad either. In the harmony mode, it has the ability to do +1 and -1 octave at the same time. But, I'd wait until someone got their hands on the new Mooer Pure Octave. Looks like that thing is gonna be nanas.

• Members

Octave effects are some of my favourite to play with. I run two pedals, a Digitech WH1 and Line 6 M9. I often set the Whammy to octave up plus dry, then running it back into the M9 through an octave down plus dry. Coupled with a bit of fuzz and some wah, it gets pretty huge sounding.

Id highly recommend the Whammy to start you off in the right direction. Go with the Whammy V that was just released!

• Members

Whammy V FTMFW. You can choose between the Classic glitchy mode and the beautiful tracking of Chord mode, though you won't be able to get both octave up and octave down simultaneously. For that the Boss PS-5/6 would work to your benefit.

• Members

Does Seim even use pedals that much??

I just got an original POG and I'm keeping it over the micro pog. The pog is noisier but its the best octave pedal I've had in terms of sound I think. I had the hog, pog 2 and micro pog.

I also use a pitchfactor for whammy stuff - octave and harmony shifts, and pitch shifted delays which is something I'm big into; not like Boss ps-3/crystal stuff. Pitchfactor can do alot but for polyphonic, chord octave playing, the pog is king.

Archived