Why the hell do DD-7's make that ungodly popping noise every time you bump the input?

komodo117

• Members

I have encountered and played about 4 different ones, and they all do this, including my own. No other pedal I've used has ever been that sensitive to cables being bumped around inside the jack. What gives? Is there a solution to this? {censored}'s really annoying.

• Members

I try not to bump it, but sometimes a patch cable will position itself in a weird manner and need re-adjusting, which results in a torrent of delayed popping and crackling.

I tried one in the store before I bought mine. That one did it. Mine did it when I bought it, another guitarist I know bought one and his did it too. I've tried a myriad of different cables too, same problem, every time. Maybe I'm just unlucky.

Could it be from running it off a One-Spot? I never have 9v batteries around to try it with, but I'm so confused as to why it does it. It's not a life shattering problem, but holy hell is it annoying when I have to make an adjustment and I get blasted with unnecessary noise.

• Members

I think this is a less-than-common thing with Boss pedals. I had it happen with an NS-2, of all things. Remove the bottom plate and take a look at the pcb. Check for any soldered joints that might be touching the casing. Just to be safe, you could cover the edges with electrical tape. Sometimes moving the cables can cause wires to touch the case, causing noise.

• Members

sounds like a bad connection, or an intermittent short somewhere, either in the cable or the pedal. One thing that helps to know that not all jacks and plugs are the same. Put instrument cable plugs next to each other and some are longer. some are shaped differently.

I remember old 80's DOD pedals had issues like this. I had a cheap store brand cable that wouldnt' work with any of my DOD pedals back in the day. If you pulled the plug out just a bit, maybe 1/8 of an inch they would work fine. push them in all the way and it would cut out.

• Members

Try the pedal alone, if don't make the noise buy another pedal power like 1spot if you are connected in a Daisy chain. I separate my dirt's, modulations and delay in three different pedal power and daisy chain with three 1spot for each and always my chain sound clean. I sold mine and never have this issue.

Archived