How long after you beat a woman are you allowed back into the mainstream?

Ryan.

• Members

Depends on how talented you are.

I'm willing to give John Lennon a lot of slack, Chris Brown not that much. Lennon could be an asshole, but he was incredibly talented, an an tortured soul. Chris Brown from what I've gathered is just an asshole.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

but rihanna is a {censored}ing dumbass for getting back with him. talentless idiot.

Is she actually back with him? I thought it was just because they had a song together and they were doing it for commercial porpoises. Not to be cynical or anything.

• Members

Honestly, I have zero idea whether you're serious or not.

You sir, are a sick person.

I'm not joking about domestic abuse, or trying to avoid the real question, like you are. Please don't call me a "sick person" for that.

2. If you found out Nels Cline was a holocaust denier tomorrow, would you still lather his balls in your saliva? I doubt it.

What? Ah, right, so it's extremes with you. It's either agree with you and joke along, or I'm just plain wrong and my views would extend to supporting someone claiming themselves to be a holocaust denier? That's a pretty odd leap to make. And you're saying "would I still..." so apparently I'm already enamoured with this supposed holocaust denier? What?

Besides, you're equating a revelation with your main arguement, which isn't. We already know Chris Brown, or whoever, hit a woman, so that's a different thing. We're talking about forgiving someone in the aftermath of a revelation. That's what I thought your question was.

You're not making any sense with this point whatsoever. And to go from one man hitting a woman, to using the hyperbole of the holocaust as an argument against me is pretty tasteless and says way more about you than it does about me.

3. I saw an advert making fun of Chris Brown, which made me ponder the question.

Well ok. And you came to HCFX for answers on your moral pondering, but then make light of it and avoid actual serious answers to your question?

4. I came here for a real answer.

My first post was a real answer. Honestly. I wasn't aiming to insult you with my original answer. It's non of our business. I don't mean turn a blind eye, I mean the act of forgiveness is something extremely personal that nobody has any say in.

For example, if I knew a woman being hit by her boyfriend, and even if I'm good friends with them both, I'm disgusted at the guy for what he's done, but for some reason, the woman does forgive him. I can't believe it, but that's her choice. Or what if she doesn't, but I do? How do you think that makes her feel when I tell her "I forgive him."

Rhianna might be some distant celebrity to you, but she's also a young woman who trusted and loved a man who hit her. Whether you, me or anyone else "forgives" this man is of zero concern to her, the victim. It's her problem to overcome, it's their relationship. She is the victim, and the only one who has any right to choose to forgive the perpetrator or not. Her and her only. That's my point.

So {censored} off with your pretentious bull{censored}, {censored} right off.

So... What? I should {censored} off for giving a real answer that you say you came here for.... but don't want to hear? Sorry if I take the subject seriously and didn't approach it like a standup comedian.

The schizophernia you're exhibiting is throwing me. I just can't work it out. You came here for a real answer. I give one, you insult me for not rolling with the lulz.

Look, If I'm "pretentious" for giving an overly serious answer in a light hearted thread, about what is actually a serious issue, then whatever, so be it. But please don't throw your toys out the pram and tell me to {censored} off, and please, please, don't call me a "sick person" because you either thought I was insulting you, or because you didn't like what I had to say.

• Members

^pwnage

image.php?u=105546&dateline=1343719400
You're a good sport JDE (but still need a new location - congrats on senior memberage)

Agreed on pwns.

Updated location, but could not think of suitably loltastic quip. I am disappointed in myself. Thanks for congrats - quite the achievement. My

• Members

i don't really think that judging artists based on their personal life is a fun game to play. chris brown seems to be different as he has forcibly dragged the smoldering corpse of the issue into every aspect of his life and has been an unapologetic dickhouse about the whole affair, but it is a sad affair to have to temper the way you feel about artists when you know sordid details about their personal life. heidegger is likely the best or second best philosopher of the 20th century, but was a member of the nazi party. his philosophy was buried in the middle of the century due to this discovery, but that means a lot of decades without Being & Time--a loss. let's just go ahead and assume almost every person, artist or not, is probably a douchebag but not care about it because it's not our responsibility to care unless it becomes a big gay social responsibility

• Members

i don't really think that judging artists based on their personal life is a fun game to play. chris brown seems to be different as he has forcibly dragged the smoldering corpse of the issue into every aspect of his life and has been an unapologetic dickhouse about the whole affair, but it is a sad affair to have to temper the way you feel about artists when you know sordid details about their personal life. heidegger is likely the best or second best philosopher of the 20th century, but was a member of the nazi party. his philosophy was buried in the middle of the century due to this discovery, but that means a lot of decades without Being & Time--a loss. let's just go ahead and assume almost every person, artist or not, is probably a douchebag but not care about it because it's not our responsibility to care unless it becomes a big gay social responsibility

Scarlet Letterer.

• Members

Scarlet Letterer.

[video=youtube;EiR1hmpk-x4]

It is a weird thing to think about... do I stop buying Chris Brown's albums because he hit a woman? How much time has to pass before I can buy them again? Do I stop enjoying sweet succulent fried chicken from Chick Fil A because of their views on homosexuals? Am I supporting rape because I buy a rapists art? I'm lost in the moral fog.

• Members

haha, he was a nazi. big deal. everyone has done embarrassing things. so he was a nazi, big whoop.

jesus christ.
:lol:

c'mon pick. i didn't say excuse everybody for their misgivings because they're not that big of a deal, just that i'd rather not conflate two issues--art and politics. nazi bad, philosophy good

• Members

c'mon pick. i didn't say excuse everybody for their misgivings because they're not that big of a deal, just that i'd rather not conflate two issues--art and politics. nazi bad, philosophy good

Fair point, but in philosophy there is reason. So walk with me for a second:

Pbone is chillin' with me at the park.

Pbone makes the claim that "2 plus 2 is equal to 4."

Pbone then takes a sucker from a little girl, kicks a dog, yells slurs at Gardy for being Puerto Rican and thus, not a true American, and worst of all, litters.

My response is... DUDE IS AN ASSHOLE WHICH MEANS 2 PLUS 2 ISN'T 4!!!

Or:

DUDE IS AN ASSHOLE, 2 PLUS 2 IS STILL 4, AND I WILL NEVER BUY TEN THOUSAND IN MP3 FORM BECAUSE OF THIS DAY!

• Members

oh, i know what youre saying and agree. your example happened to be a really extreme example.

• Members

sure if you don't want to support him because of his membership of the nazi party i'm not going to cut your foreskin off but a) there's virtually nothing in heidegger that actually would indicate that he was a supporter of the nazi party, hence the initial shock of the discovery, and b) that's a lot of important philosophy to miss out on. but i'm not really here to right or wrong anybody else's reactions to situations like these, just say that i'd rather not even bother because it's a heavy burden to carry but seems like there are always people willing to take up that fight.

• Members

sure if you don't want to support him because of his membership of the nazi party i'm not going to cut your foreskin off but a) there's virtually nothing in heidegger that actually would indicate that he was a supporter of the nazi party, hence the initial shock of the discovery, and b) that's a lot of important philosophy to miss out on. but i'm not really here to right or wrong anybody else's reactions to situations like these, just say that i'd rather not even bother because it's a heavy burden to carry but seems like there are always people willing to take up that fight.

No artist (or philosopher. two very different things) exists in a vaccuum. Their public figure, their biography...these things will inevitably color their work. That said, I feel it is possible for them to create work that is powerful enough to establish its own identity, one that overshadows the creator. YMMV. Anyway, with Heidegger, it's easy to delve into his work without constantly being reminded of his Nazism, because the work doesn't really uphold Nazi ideals (I actually feel more uncomfortable when it comes to a philosopher like Nietzche or an artist like Wagner. They weren't Nazis themselves but I can see where their work influenced the Nazis and it takes away from my enjoyment of it).

But Chris Brown isn't really an artist. He's a commercial pop singer and dancer. So, for me, the chick beating stuff overshadows everything else when it comes to him.

• Members

Fair point, but in philosophy there is reason. So walk with me for a second:

Pbone is chillin' with me at the park.

Pbone makes the claim that "2 plus 2 is equal to 4."

Pbone then takes a sucker from a little girl, kicks a dog,
yells slurs at Gardy for being Puerto Rican and thus, not a true American, and worst of all, litters

My response is... DUDE IS AN ASSHOLE WHICH MEANS 2 PLUS 2 ISN'T 4!!!

Or:

DUDE IS AN ASSHOLE, 2 PLUS 2 IS STILL 4, AND I WILL NEVER BUY TEN THOUSAND IN MP3 FORM BECAUSE OF THIS DAY!

Vasn't me bro. It was vee.

• Members

walt disney was an alleged nazi sympathizer/ communist so that may very well have been what got brown his gig as a child dancer or whatever he was being paid to do that made people admire him- 'stomping da yard' and the like. the fact he later punched that dude, rihanna in his face is just unfortunate but did walt not expect a monster to behave as a monster?

Archived