Tube Screamer Clones for DRRI

• Members

I'm sure this topic has been done to death but I will ask anyway. What would be a good tube screamer clone to play various guitars through a Fender 65 Deluxe Reverb Reissue? I have had a few of the usual suspects - Fulltone Fulldrive (couldn't dial out the high end and overkill for my needs), Maxon OD9 (too grainy and switch was hard to operate), Maxon OD808 (I really liked the tone of this one, but didn't care for the flimsy switch), Green Rhino (this pedal had way more gain than I needed and couldn't find my sound with it), and a few others. I am mainly using it as a booster for leads. I run the gain low and the volume high with my amp on the verge of breakup.

• Members

Have you considered something like an Xotic RC Booster?

If you found the Maxon TS9 to grainy, you probably won't like the typical Ibanez TS-9RI, but you might consider the Ibanez TS808RI, 30th Anniversary TS-9, or a Keely or Analog Man TS9/808 mod (perhaps the Analog Man with the Brown option)

• Members

They're all much of muchness, but the Luther Drive is nice. Also, the Barber TS-voiced pedals are the least "grainy" of any Screamers i've played.

Alternatively, an EQ pedal? Could give you mids and volume, but you can tame the high end if need be, and no grain.

• Members

I think I've been stuck on the tubescreamer because so many guitarists have used it so it seems tried and true, but it's very possible, I'm growing out of the tube screamer sound.

Yeah. Look around, man. Try some different stuff. I guarantee you, you will find what you're looking for.

• Members

There's plenty out there. The Hermida Zen Drive sounds really cool through a DRRI. So does the Lovepedal Eternity, which I'm told is TS based but sounds way more complex and the mid-hump is in a way more pleasing part of the EQ spectrum. I know the RC Booster was mentioned, so I may as well throw the AC Booster in as a suggestion - a bit more gain than the RC Booster.

• Members

Hey OP regarding your OD808. How did you come to the conclusion that the footswitch is flimsey? Alot of guys are put off by them at first because they dont have the pop that we're used to feeling when stomped on. I bring this up only because if you were worried about it not going the distance or something...dont be concerned. Theyre just switches with an easier action is all, Ive flat out punished my OD808 and it still works like its brand new.

Oh and you should try an SD-1 too

• Members

I'm sure this topic has been done to death but I will ask anyway. What would be a good tube screamer clone to play various guitars through a Fender 65 Deluxe Reverb Reissue? I have had a few of the usual suspects - Fulltone Fulldrive (couldn't dial out the high end and overkill for my needs), Maxon OD9 (too grainy and switch was hard to operate), Maxon OD808 (I really liked the tone of this one, but didn't care for the flimsy switch), Green Rhino (this pedal had way more gain than I needed and couldn't find my sound with it), and a few others. I am mainly using it as a booster for leads. I run the gain low and the volume high with my amp on the verge of breakup.

I suspect user error.

• Members

I'm sure this topic has been done to death but I will ask anyway. What would be a good tube screamer clone to play various guitars through a Fender 65 Deluxe Reverb Reissue? I have had a few of the usual suspects - Fulltone Fulldrive (couldn't dial out the high end and overkill for my needs), Maxon OD9 (too grainy and switch was hard to operate), Maxon OD808 (I really liked the tone of this one, but didn't care for the flimsy switch), Green Rhino (this pedal had way more gain than I needed and couldn't find my sound with it), and a few others.
I am mainly using it as a booster for leads.
I run the gain low and the volume high with my amp on the verge of breakup.

If you're just needing a solo boost, then why not get something like the EHX LPB-1?

The Lovepedal Eternity is my favorite TS clone with a DR. The BJFe/Bearfoot Honey Bee Overdrive isn't a TS clone but is probably my favorite low gain overdrive to pair with that amp. It sounds and feels like a cranked, small 6V6 combo. Which channel are you playing through? I know a lot of guys have trouble with graininess or high end fizz when running ODs through the Vibrato Channel. Maybe get an AB Box and use the Vibrato Channel for cleans and switch to any old TS through the Normal Channel for leads.

Archived