The greatest film of all time.

MrChrisos

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Just haven't heard of it. It was released decades before I was born, I've never seen it shown on tv, no one I know has talked about it...

Have you seen much Hitchcock? I definitely recommend Vertigo - it's not one of those 'it was good for its time' films, it's got a great engaging story.

(no spoilers people!)

• Members

WHAT!?!?!?!?!?! WHAT. THE. {censored}. WHAT THE {censored}?!?!?!?!?! I'm seriously at a loss for words....of all the countless {censored}ing movies I've ever watched, that was one of the very very VERY few that I ever stopped watching half an hour into it cuz it was just so {censored}ign boring and stupid (to me anyways). Seriously I just don't understand it! I don't know, maybe if I had more patience, but I swear to god the whole first part is him just following that chick, and it's just so {censored}ing slow and boring and {censored}ing PAINFUL...it was to me anyways...I guess I'll have to watch the whole thing, I must be missing something....

• Members

I love both films. I wouldn't call either "the greatest" (sort of a silly notion with art anyway. it's not a sport) or even my favorite. I think in terms of sheer filmmaking brilliance, Kane edges out Vertigo, but there are moments in Vertgio that are more beautiful than anything in Kane.

and if we're discussing the heights of cinema, I consider Stalker, Blue Velvet, The Ice Storm, Chungking Express, and Diary of a Country Priest more powerful and more "perfect" works than either of them.

• Members

WHAT!?!?!?!?!?! WHAT. THE. {censored}. WHAT THE {censored}?!?!?!?!?! I'm seriously at a loss for words....of all the countless {censored}ing movies I've ever watched, that was one of the very very VERY few that I ever stopped watching half an hour into it cuz it was just so {censored}ign boring and stupid (to me anyways). Seriously I just don't understand it! I don't know, maybe if I had more patience, but I swear to god the whole first part is him just following that chick, and it's just so {censored}ing slow and boring and {censored}ing PAINFUL...it was to me anyways...I guess I'll have to watch the whole thing, I must be missing something....

Some films you have to be in the right mood for. I remember at school my best mate was genuinely angry at me for liking 2001: a space odyssey.

Edit: Very timely, woolyh!

• Members

pretty difficult to judge films outside of the context and era they were made.

For me, being outside the era adds so much more to it! The score, the style, there's something stately and grand about it - which haunts well.

ALSO: I just walked past his old house! It's round the corner from where I work. Crazy.

• Members

The one thing i'd say dates it is the pace. Judging by your writing style - I'm guessing you like your content fast and furious. When you're feeling chilled, give it another try.

For me, being outside the era adds so much more to it! The score, the style, there's something stately and grand about it - which haunts well.

ALSO: I just walked past his old house! It's round the corner from where I work. Crazy.

LOL Right on man!!! Well I can appreciate slower stuff, but yeah, I guess I do have a bit of the ol' ADD LOL

• Members

as someone stated, films now i think do have to be broken down by era for "best" lists, just because there have been amazing movies made in the last 20 years that cannot compare to the legacy and 40-50+ years of mythos imparted on them.

For example, I am not saying the movie Seven is better than Vertigo, but Seven is probably one of the most solid looking, sounding, feeling movies of this era and both should be liked for the experience of watching them.

Archived