Looking into buying a Lava cable or two

JMR

• Members

My monster cable is beginning to crap out and I thought I might try out one of the supposedly high-quality brands. I've heard a ton about Lava, so I figured I would try them out.

Looking at these two, probably 30ft

http://www.lavacable.com/index.php?id=19

http://www.lavacable.com/index.php?id=24

Is the blue demon significantly better than the magma?

• Members

Blue Demon is a step up or two from the Magma. Magma is a very slim cable. Little to protect it from a bad kink unlike the Blue Demon. I have both along with their high end ELC cable and a coil cable of theirs. Plus have the ELC pedal board kit. Awesome cables. Blue Demons are worth the money.

I've got a Clear Connect II sitting here that I need to bust out and start using for a while so I can write up a review... I've never tried Lava Cables, but there are a lot of guys here who use 'em and love 'em.

My only question to the OP is... 30 feet - are you sure you need that much? Remember, even with good quality cables, capacitance is cumulative - the longer the cable, the more high-frequency rolloff you'll experience.

• Members

I really like the Bullet coily cables (I know, throw in yer gearmandude references here). Just started using one a few months ago after getting tired of my Planet Waves always getting tangled around me. The Bullet's are super hefty, super cool, and don't muck with your signal, either.

• Members

I really like the Bullet coily cables (I know, throw in yer gearmandude references here). Just started using one a few months ago after getting tired of my Planet Waves always getting tangled around me. The Bullet's are super hefty, super cool, and don't muck with your signal, either.

+1 for bullet. I used a white one (inset more GMD shenanigans) for 3-4 years. Just got a black one with a white stipe because my white one is straight up filthy. I could clean it but I'm lazy. Pretty decent prices too

• Members

Did you get the 30 foot or 20? I have a 20 foot Lava and it's hefty in weight but rugged. Never used the bullet. After using the Lava I doubt I'd try anything else, but still doesn't negate my curiosity towards bullet.

• Members

Did you get the 30 foot or 20? I have a 20 foot Lava and it's hefty in weight but rugged. Never used the bullet. After using the Lava I doubt I'd try anything else, but still doesn't negate my curiosity towards bullet.

This is pretty much how I feel but towards bullet because thats what I bought. I'm not againt the lava cables at all I think they are super cool and come in a variety of more colors. It was the price that eventually swayed me $42 for 30' bullet $90 for the 35' lava, hell they are $64 for the 20'. actually I wouldn't mind trying a 20' lava one day

FWIW bullet comes in 25' and 30' lava comes in 20' and 35' (this is just from a quick search I may be wrong.)

• Members

Didn't realize bullets where that much cheaper. I thought they were closer in price than that. Even with someone bending the tip of my Lava on me, cable still works great. Maybe try a bullet as a back up.

Yeah they are great. FYI bullet also makes a 10' mini coil. That one would be sweet playing through a stack and the cable wouldn't even touch the ground. Straight up mojo.

EricClapton.jpg

Archived