Reverb pedal for gnarly shoegaze sounds? (JCM, APTBS etc.)

• Members

I'm looking for a reverb pedal that I can use to make some of those great heavy shoegaze sounds.

If anyone can recommend a fuzz pedal for this purpose as well, feel free to do so.

I'm talking mostly about things A Place to Bury Strangers do with over-the-top reverb, but hopefully the pedal could be used to get more subtile sounds too, or more dreamy shoegaze like My Bloody Valentine.

Been looking into the EHX Cathedral. I was wondering if this would be a good choice?

It seems to have great options and uses, but I'm wondering if it will do what I want it to do (the APTBS kind of thing).

Thanks in advance!

• Members

Cathedral will.get you there. Its the best option I've tried in that price range. For a little cheaper, you could look into a hardwire or digiverb. Boss rv3 or 5 possibly.

For fuzz. It all depends on your guitar and amp setup. Some stuff sounds great with certain amps and others not so much.

• Members

hmmm...A Place to Bury Strangers mostly get their reverb from the spring units in their Fender amps, right? Not sure what you would want for that, but there are a million boutique spring reverb simulation pedals out there.

For My Bloody Valentine sounds, you want reverse and gated reverb options. I use a Magicstomp for that, but a Digiverb will work too.

• Members

hmmm...A Place to Bury Strangers mostly get their reverb from the spring units in their Fender amps, right? Not sure what you would want for that, but there are a million boutique spring reverb simulation pedals out there.

For My Bloody Valentine sounds, you want reverse and gated reverb options. I use a Magicstomp for that, but a Digiverb will work too.

• Members

+1 on the Magicstomp. It comes close to those endless verbs you hear on those old rack units like the Midiverb II (a MBV favorite). And +1 on the Digiverb. It also does a pretty convincing spring reverb and a much better one than those boutique ones out there imho.

• Members

It's expensive in Europe these days but the Magicstomp is the only pedal that can provide the early reflections/reverse gate sounds used by Kevin Shields. If those effects aren't essential I think that almost any reverb pedal could suffice. Something like the Hardwire reverb would probably be a good option and it's relatively affordable.

• Members

+1 for the Hardwire suggestion. Haven't tried the new hardwire supernatural yet, but for what you're after that might be a good contender as well.

The only verb peds I have now:

RV-3: Lotsa sounds in a small package, and comes with a nice crispy sounding delay as well.

Biyang Tri-reverb: Pretty versatile too, and it can do extremely washed out 100% wet type of verbs. Plus it's dirt cheap/.

Neither have reverse/gated options though, and I'm not a fan of spring reverb, so I don't even use it enough to make any sort of judgement on the spring modes of my reverbs pedlols.

Never messed with the cethedral, but I wouldn't be surprised if there were better options out there for the money. Lotsa meh reviews, the demo's don't impress me either. I tried/owned the other ehx reverbs though, couldn't get rid of em fast enough....

Fuzz: That's an even bigger can of wurms, the hunt for the perfect fuzz pedal sometimes never ends. Too many awesome options, too many gas-inducing new stuff coming out every week or so...

So good luck;p

• Members

RV-3 + a good Superfuzz?
:idk:

RV-3 + FZ-2 = :love:

Works for me, but I'm not really into shoegazer stuff. Used/old boss peds can still be found cheapish, thanks to the availability and 'uncoolness', but they're all most people really need if they manage to ignore their GAS.

As far as superfuzz clones go, there's a couple other options I haven't all tried, so I can really compare. I'm sure others here can shime in with better info if you want to know more about the superfuzz. I know there's someone round here who's affiliated with Wattson, and Malekko/BOYC are some other options for superfuzz clones that sound more than decent in the clips I heard...

A superfuzz (clone) is not for the faint of heart, With chords it can sound harsh, nasty, 'unmusical'...And kinda messy in front of reverb/delay. Not sure if that fits in the APTBS sound :idk:

• Members

Eventide Space is making a good job on my board.

That Cigar Ros setting has a really deep reverb.

That and the Strymon Blue Sky are the two verbs I'd want to check if I had unlimited funds...

500 bones for the Space though, for that kind of money I'll always rather get another amp or guitar instead:freak:

• Members

Been looking into the EHX Cathedral. I was wondering if this would be a good choice?

It seems to have great options and uses, but I'm wondering if it will do what I want it to do (the APTBS kind of thing).

Thanks in advance!

I love the Cathedral, but no clue about APTBS reverbs. I don't agree with any of the criticisms I've read here about it. My only criticism is that I would've liked to have an option for with/without trails. Since it is TB'd, no trails.

• Members

While a lot of people criticise the Cathedral, plenty of people making Shoegaze style music seem to be perfectly happy with it. It offers a lot more control over the sounds than other mass produced pedals in the same price range. It depends how much you care about sounding exactly like MBV, Slowdive, etc.

Archived