School me on high gain AC30 toanz, HCFX.

• Members

Daft question, but to get these sort of sounds (in particular the Refused one), would you run into the normal or top boost channels?

Either way, whichever works best with your guitar/pickup configuration/EQ you're using.

Speaking of Refused, I tracked this a while back using an AC30H2 + modded big box Rat with a Tele Deluxe. A lovely tone.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/31554012/Deadly%20Rhythm%20in%20One%20Minute.mp3

• Members

F*ck. Why did I never heard of that amp? That's what I get for turning my back on the maps forum.

That's exactly what I always imagined my dream amp would be. I'm good on amps right now though, plus it's way way way over budget...

Maps won't talk about it anyway it's not a peavey 5150 or the latest high gain head.

I just go there for the racism and homophobia

• Members

Daft question, but to get these sort of sounds (in particular the Refused one), would you run into the normal or top boost channels?

What TVD said - you try both and decide what sounds best. With some pedals/ guitars, it can make all the difference in the world, and with others it basically doesn't matter. I do find the Normal channel tends to have a little more clear bass so you can get a little more thump, but the tradeoff is a less refined sound whereas the top boost channel seems to shape the tone more (given that it has a tone stack, that makes sense).

• Members

If you're going to do high gain tones on an AC-30 you'll need to make sure you're not using alnico blue speakers if you want to have any definition or volume at all.

mmmmhhhhmmmm. Well, actually they're very loud speakers. They just impose their compression/ eq/ tone on everything that goes through them once you're pushing them, so if you don't like that tone you're {censored}ed.

I quite liked going through a closed back 2x12 with a heritage G12m and G12H. Tried a G12H30 anniversary and it was close but the high end was too much for the vox voicing.

• Members

mmmmhhhhmmmm. Well, actually they're very loud speakers. They just impose their compression/ eq/ tone on everything that goes through them once you're pushing them, so if you don't like that tone you're {censored}ed.

I quite liked going through a closed back 2x12 with a heritage G12m and G12H. Tried a G12H30 anniversary and it was close but the high end was too much for the vox voicing.

Yes...they're loud to a point...but you run a hot, high gain signal into them (especially if the amp you're using them with has a tube rectifier) and the combination of the two makes for mush city.

• Members

{censored} me, this amp sounds amazing

You by any chance talking about other clips than the ones on the Morgan website? Not that there's anything wrong with those, I'm just curious about more/different clips, and purhaps some pro reviews as well as user reviews...

Still though...$2100 could easily buy me a nice jcm800/AC-30 stereo rig plus some change. I know it's not exactly the same, and obviously two seperate amps isn't exactly convenient...But I'm not a snobby tgp blooz laywer just yet:freak:

• Members

You by any chance talking about other clips than the ones on the Morgan website? Not that there's anything wrong with those, I'm just curious about more/different clips, and purhaps some pro reviews as well as user reviews...

Still though...$2100 could easily buy me a nice jcm800/AC-30 stereo rig plus some change. I know it's not exactly the same, and obviously two seperate amps isn't exactly convenient...But I'm not a snobby tgp blooz laywer just yet:freak:

No I'm not sadly. And I feel like the convenience is probably worth it. Though at JCM800 Stack would be nice to have.

Archived