Home recording ideas... without modelling pedals or plugins

chrisjnyc

• Members

Anyone have some ideas for bedroom recording without the use of amp modelling pedals, and plugins? I have tried mic'ing some low watt amps, but its been a problem to get good dirt tones at low volumes. The best I have come up with is the Liverpool Tech 21 pedal direct in.... but this is only working for a few tones.

Any ideas?

:confused:

• Members

An attenuator with a DI output. There's a Pete Thorn video where he demos a product like this, can't remember what it's called.

Or you can re-amp. Record your sessions with a clean guitar sound. Guitar into a DI the 1/4 inch out goes to a low volume amp, the XLR goes to your DAW. Once you've recorded everything, go to a studio space, church space, practive space, any place where you can play louder with your recording stuff and play those sessions through the amp and record.

Or get an ISO-cab.

• Members

How is the Tech 21 not a modelling pedal?

Also have you tried Kemper, AxeFX, POD HD?

Yea, the Tech 21 is a simple modelling pedal, I get that. It's the best I have found for my budget... I have tried the POD HD, but dont have the $$$ for the Axe FX

• Members

Considering that most bedroom recordings are a massive compromise from the start, I'd recommend going the modeling route. If your in an apartment, forget about micing a real amp and get a modeling setup. If you can't get usable tones from an HD500 (or really any modeler currently on the market) you haven't really learned how to dial it in. That said...if you have a larger walk in closet, you can put the amp in there and crank it a bit louder and/or get your self a nice dirt pedal to use with your amp at lower volumes.

• Members

Ever tried a good iso cab with a 12" speaker? :idk: Or if you really don't want to use amp simulation/modelers, maybe you could look into cabinet simulators? Don't know much about the software kind, but as far as load boxes go, the Palmer PGA-04 seems to get good reviews everywhere...

• Members

don't mean to thread-jack too bad, but aside from modeling if you're going the DI route, say into an m-audio type USB interface what the hell can you do to make it sound better. Instead of just plugging your guitar directly into the usb interface, would it be beneficial to have something before it like a DI Box specifically for impedance matching, or a cabinet simulating pedal?

I feel like when I'm plugging into my usb interface 1) it makes my guitar sound like it has a piezo pickup 2) isn't even better than just plugging into the 1/8" jack of the soundcard.

I'm just wondering what are the biggest considerations in that chain - impedance, interface specs (sampling rate? usb vs firewire?), modeling software (does garageband really suck that bad? Is amplitude even that much better?).

• Members

don't mean to thread-jack too bad, but aside from modeling if you're going the DI route, say into an m-audio type USB interface what the hell can you do to make it sound better. Instead of just plugging your guitar directly into the usb interface, would it be beneficial to have something before it like a DI Box specifically for impedance matching, or a cabinet simulating pedal?

I feel like when I'm plugging into my usb interface 1) it makes my guitar sound like it has a piezo pickup 2) isn't even better than just plugging into the 1/8" jack of the soundcard.

I'm just wondering what are the biggest considerations in that chain - impedance, interface specs (sampling rate? usb vs firewire?), modeling software (does garageband really suck that bad? Is amplitude even that much better?).

Be more descriptive of your chain. How is the signal getting from guitar to USB? I've been doing direct recording for years and would be more than happy to share some tips.

• Members

i've recorded my first LIQUID GAS record entirely in my tiny bedroom with micing a real fender champ 600 amp into a 2x10 cab using a vox over the top boost pedal as main crunch. i played quietly, had no problem with good tone. link in my sig. turned out pretty well.

• Members

Be more descriptive of your chain. How is the signal getting from guitar to USB? I've been doing direct recording for years and would be more than happy to share some tips.

I just have the guitar plugged directly into the 1/4" instrument input of an old m-audio mobilepre. That's connected to my mac via usb, and I record using garageband.

• Members

I just have the guitar plugged directly into the 1/4" instrument input of an old m-audio mobilepre. That's connected to my mac via usb, and I record using garageband.

Without any sort of amp modeling, you're always gonna sound {censored}ty that way. The garageband amp modeling isn't too hot either impo, but than again I've never been too impressed by any software amp sims...

I've got Guitar Rig 3 on my macbook now, not too bad for demo's, song writing, late night noodling, little extra tracks,...

My buddy prefers amplitude, doesn't sound bad either.

Don't worry too much about bitrate/samplerate or firewire vs USB, I bet even your old m-audio interface isn't the weakest link in your signal chain...

• Members

Then you're hearing exactly what your guitar really sounds like without the lovely coloration an amp adds. Without a doubt, your best results would be to either add an amp modeling device between the guitar and mobilepre or using software based modeling. The later requires you have a pretty speedy computer to monitor in real time, but you can always apply the effects after the fact as well. Not sure what all garageband supports, but I would start by checking out LePou's plugins: http://lepouplugins.blogspot.com/ They're free and honestly sound very, very good. Aradaz has some very good stuff as well: http://aradaz.blogspot.com/

• Members

The Zoom g3 does well, which surprised me. I thought some of the earlier zoom multifx were weak sauce.

Word.

Mine's been surprising me considering I didn't buy it with the attention of using the amp sims. Been getting some nice tones.

• Members

IMHO the microphone matters a lot. I used an SM57 for years and was never really happy with it, but it is "the standard." That's really a lie though. they are more often used on snares than guitars.

I've been really happy with the E906 I bought a few years ago. Works great even at low volume.

Archived