Any have a "regular" pedal board and a separate "survival/essential" board?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

theres nothing more essential and survival based than an extra collection of effect pedals. i dont see how anyone can sleep at night without a second string back up board with only 'essentials'.

pickl pls, youre talking to a bunch of guitar effects nerds...posting on a guitar effects forum. we love this {censored}

of course we could just go guitar --> amp. but where's the fun in that??

• Members

just the one, though i could get by with just my fulldrive and m9.

Oh yeah I'll bet. The M9 should be able to handle almost anything. You have a good OD in there as well. Honestly, you're only missing a wah pedal. I think wah is one of those pedals that makes sounds no guitar player could live without. Just basic things like strumming muted strings while "wah-wahing" them is super classic haha.

Anyways man, I think that's a legit compact setup that pretty does it all.

• Members

I usually have three boards going.

1. For my tribute band that has about 10 pedals at any given time, in order to cover about 30 years of music and countless guitar players.

2. My noise / booteek HCFX board that has 8 pedals running off a OneSpot.

3. A board for guests that come to play at my house, which is always switching up depending on who played it last.

Last night I took my noise board to band practice and tried to get creative with what I had vs what was "missing" from my normal band board. It was a ton of fun, but now I'm thinking of switching out some pedals between those boards... :facepalm:

• Members

I have a little board and some extra pedals laying around, but it's all stuff I don't really use. I might just plug one in at home for awhile, but it's not stuff I'd use with my band.

So, basically, no.

If something were to happen to my board during a show, I'd just plug straight in.

• Members

im (now, anyway
:p
) really not trying to sound {censored}ty but you guys really couldnt just use a guitar and amp in this hypothetical emergency jam session? if lives were at stake?

That's what I would do... :idk:

Or maybe I'd just use a single boost/overdrive or fuzz if the amp only had one channel.

And, for what it's worth, my 'essentials' board is my main pedalboard - my board has just 3 effect pedals with which I am very happy and can do everything I want/need.

I've always liked to have a simple rig with which I can just play music - too many pedals/effects and it's a distraction (for me).

I do sometimes add one or two other pedals for special occasions though...

• Members

I have my main board and if I'm off for a quick jam, I'll just throw my M9 and clone in my gig bag.

That's kool.

So here is where I am today. I currently have the following pedals: Whammy IV, Vox Wah, TS9, DigiDelay, MXR Phase90, Boss ME50, and a Boss EQ coming in the mail.

My next pedal purchases are going to be the '78 Badass Distortion and either Dunlop 535Q or CAE 404 wah.

The main board would be comprised of TS9, '78 Dist., Whammy, Wah, Phaser, Delay, and possibly EQ.

The simple board would be Vox Wah -> Boss EQ -> TS9.

For recording I currently only use the ME50 which surprises me, but I suppose it's the easiest way to record for me. Everything is preset and I just plug it straight into the amp.

• Members

^ if you have a Boss ME50 and have all your presets good for recording, couldn't that just be your grab and go board?
:idk:

It's great for recording because when I record I don't care about how "realistic" things sound and no one can tell the difference. It "sounds" good for recording. When playing for real, the overdrives are not that great, I only find the boost to be good. But yes I have I have used the ME50 with my delay and TS9 and have had a lot of fun with it. It helped me discover the beauty of boosting your overdrive pedal and also combining a short delay with a long delay.

Honestly man, I just need an excuse to keep buying pedals haha. I have two guitars and currently have no desire to get a third. I'm fully satisfied with my LP and Strat. In order to keep my GAS under control I have to justify the purchase of pedals haha (and a new amp down the road).

• Members

how do you like the FX17 crxsh? It's powered right?

Not really being a fan of "typical" wah sounds, I love it. It's right up there with the Wah Probe in my book. Kinda filter-y, but still vocal. And yes

• Members

^ i had one too and thought it was pretty neat. i also just used a 9v battery to power it because you need an adapter tip if you want to use a dc power supply. bought mine for $40 i think. works as volume pedal too. win win. TVD from teh forum loves his too, and gets some great sounds from it. i couldnt get mine to sound as nice as his :( has 2 trimpots to tweak in it too

• Members

Great price! And since I have the internal trimmers tweaked for the wah sound, the sweep is pretty terrible compared to the EBVP. But you can set it up better. Just happens to be that way because of what I wanted to do with the wah. I just don't use it for volume all that often though.

Probably the closest thing I have to a small board is the M9. That's kind of my default "grab and go" rig if I'm in a hurry and / or am traveling light. I've been thinking about making a smaller travel board of some kind, but haven't made my mind up about what exactly it should have on it yet.

• Members

I don't have specific survival board, but sometime I only grab 2 or 3 pedals and my Fender Champ for small gigs or jams. I usually take my Holy Grail for reverb,

DE-7 for delays and my Fulltone '69, Skeddy Lunar Module or Lovepedal Eternity clone for OD.

• Members

I don't have specific survival board, but sometime I only grab 2 or 3 pedals and my Fender Champ for small gigs or jams. I usually take my Holy Grail for reverb,

DE-7 for delays and my Fulltone '69, Skeddy Lunar Module or Lovepedal Eternity clone for OD.

Wow did not know the 5-watt champs could hold up in a gigging situation!

Archived