Are BOSS BF-2 differences worth being picky about?

Ed Zachary

• Members

MIJ vs MIT

Green label vs black label

old ones with black knobs vs newer ones with gray capped knobs etc, any big deal?

And the important question: Do all of them sound the same?

Prices vary but I'm wondering if it is due to perceived differences instead of real ones or "mine is older so it's better" cred, even if it isn't necessarily better.

• Members

Having owned and gigged all of them, yes, there are differences, and no, you couldn't tell in a blindfold test.

Of course, we will now hear from an "expert" who will claim otherwise.

The trick can be to find one where the internal trimpots have not been futzed with, which can affect the sound, create more noise, etc.

I kept my mint black label and sold a very good condition green label, mostly because the black label had the pots that are a bit more difficult to turn, so the settings hold better. Some BF-2s have very easily rotated pots, so your settings can change just by glancing at them.

Like every piece of gear you will ever buy, the only way to know which is "best" for you is to try it with your other gear.

The list of pedals that are supposed to be the "best", but sound like crap to me, is very long.

• Members

Thanks for the info. I read some horror stories about the trim pots but I could probably get one back to stock condition if I got one that been tampered with. I guesss I'll go for a 30-$40 one instead of thinking it needs to be more expensive for whatever reason (metal screw, black label, Jimmy Page once looked at it, etc).

Archived