NGD - First Xaviere

JMR

• Members

*No camera at the moment, so bare with me*

After buying a set of pick ups (Mean 90 bridge and Surf 90 neck) from GFS and being very pleased, I decided to try out a guitar.

Been wanting a tele and a semi-hollow, so I grabbed the XV-620

LOOKS:

This is probably the guitar's weakest point.

very bright. The neck is kinda ugly. The Seafoam is a bit too bright for my tastes. On the bass side of the guitar where the pickgaurd meets the neck, the plastic is a little messy. The pick-up route for the bridge pick up is a tiny bit too big and if you look closely on the treble side of the bridge, you can see it peeking out. These are all pretty minor details, especially given the price. However, Guitar Fetish should definitely up the quality control.

FEEL:

The stock strings were crap, as expected. The guitar was actually, believe it or not, set up pretty well when it arrived! I just strung it up with some D'Addario XL Regular Lights and the action is just a tad high and there's a tiny bit of buzz, but that's easily adjusted. The neck, despite the overdone vintage tint, plays very nice. It looks glossier than it feels - it's actually kind of satin-y. Very comfy guitar. Neck dive isn't as bad for me as it is for others.

SOUND:

Excellent! Easily matches or surpasses most stock MIM Fenders I've played. Middle position sounds absolutely great. The neck pick up needed to be raised. The soldering was a little weak at the input, but I've experienced that with many guitars and a lot of guitars end up needing the input to be re-soldered at some point anyway. Tone pot is great - rolls off treble without getting muddy. Very usable. Volume pot is sudden - not as gradual as I'd like. Not good for swells, but for rolling back gain it'll do.

Overall, I'd say this XV-620 is somewhere between a Squier Classic Vibe and a MIM Fender. A lot of the Squier CVs look nicer, but out of the box the Xaviere sounds and plays better. Plus, considering the guitar is in the early 200s with a hardshell case, there's money leftover to invest in whatever. I'm planning on using this as my learning guitar for soldering/modding, so I'm planning on getting a vintage-style neck and pick ups.

Overall, I am pleased with my purchase! I also grabbed the GFS tuner pedal. Works great!

• Members

Nice, someone has a xavivere jazzmaster on list near me for $150 and I'm curious.

I'd hit that so hard and make it into a 10 string a la The Tielman Brothers.

And congrats on the NGD! I don't know why GFS and Rondo go so crazy with the "vintage tint" but they seem like awesome guitars for modding. I've really been gassing to do a 10 sting mod project and the GFS headstocks look like they might be able to fit a few extra tuners on the right side. I've been eyeing those Cabronita-inspired semi-hollow tele with p-90 things for a while now.

• Members

Congrats. I also have an XV 900 that's surprisingly good for it's price point. A little sandpaper on the back of the neck, ever so slight setup adjustments, some intonation, and man, it's a great guitar.

You'd probably have to spend upwards of 600-700 to get a more well made 335 style.

Congrats, and HNGD!

• Members

What a joke. People have tried to flip Agiles/Xavieres for that much in my town before.

he is now offering AVRI pickups, CTS pots and a mustang bridge with it for $250 but I just talked to him, someone sanded the neck and stuff, not sure if its worth checking out. I wouldn't pay $250 it though.

Archived