Can we talk about an amazing record?

mhuxtable

• Members

Neutral Milk Hotel's In The Aeroplane Over The Sea

What a perfect {censored}ing record. Lyrically, just one of the richest and incredible works put forth of our time....nightmarish images with boyish honesty.

Musically, some amazing complex yet simple sounds....the backbone of a strummed acoustic guitar surrounded at perfect moments by tape loops, singing saw, brass sections, etc. None of it is gratuitous, it just helps move along the story.

And the history and legend of this record....reading Anne Frank's diary, crying for 3 days, night terrors, writing an entire record based on her life, having a legit nervous breakdown....all of it adds to the honesty.

Jeff Mangum AMIRITE?

Y9rDtHjoz8E

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Shame-on-you-Oracle1.jpg
You mean to tell me you wear glasses like that and you've never listened to Neutral Milk Hotel?

my glasses have nothing to do with my music taste. i know plenty of people with big glasses and {censored} taste in music. i like them because theres a larger field of view and smaller glasses dont look so great on me.

and to be honest, NMH was like THE {censored}ing indie rock band of all time and like Arcade Fire, i resisted for a long time. i ended up loving everything by Arcade Fire, so maybe ill really love this record. and the one before it. we will see.

• Members

my glasses have nothing to do with my music taste. i know plenty of people with big glasses and {censored} taste in music. i like them because theres a larger field of view and smaller glasses dont look so great on me.

and to be honest, NMH was like THE {censored}ing indie rock band of all time and like Arcade Fire, i resisted for a long time. i ended up loving everything by Arcade Fire, so maybe ill really love this record. and the one before it. we will see.

All good man, I was just yanking your chain.

You should definitely give it a listen, though.

• Members

if you like Funeral, you'll likely love Aeroplane. Same cool instrumentation, but more lo-fi, strange, punky, and breakneck.

• Members

I really like Two Headed Boy and King of Carrot Flowers Part 1, but can't really stand the rest of it. Never understood why so many people consider it a "perfect album." I read Pitchfork's review of it when I feel like getting pissed off.

Archived