Question for Korg M50 users

skier4467

• Members

Hi. When I looked at getting a Korg M50 I was distraught to see that there are no favorites buttons or users banks for saving and organizing programs/combis.

If this is true then how would you use this keyboard in a live band setting where you need to change sounds quickly?

Thanks.

• Members

I don't have that keyboard [i wish] but I think a better way is to simply enter the preset number manually between, or even during songs. It's only 3 pushes [according to the picture] and probably quicker than browsing for the needed preset in the favorite menu [if it has one].

I used my Roland XV-5050 a few times on stage and it was actually a pain using the favorite menu, especially when looking for favorited presets that were further down the list. But I had no choice because the XV-5050 has no number pad.

Plus you'll have to use some kind of written notes anyway. Just write down the three digit preset number in big on each song page in your music book:)

As for saving programs/combis like you said, you can do that. Here's an excerpt from the manual:

"The Program and Combination settings you

• Members

For me, three button pushes is two too many in a live situation. I sometimes need to switch sounds within the space of a 16th note when going from one section of a song to another.

That's one way that my Motif serves me well, although I hate lugging it around. 16 user presets in each user bank are available at the touch of a single button. I have the patches arranged in the banks so that all of the patches used in any given song are within the same bank.

• Members

I'd guess it has at least 1 user bank like the Triton's. On my Triton, I have a few different things. One bank where, going by 10's I saved my favorites of each category of instrument (0-10 piano, 11-20 strings, etc.) Then I have 2 10 sets of my most used sounds, one set split with bass, the other not, so I can use the hold 10's and just press one number to get where I want. The last way is for my band's originals, which I have organized the patch switches in sequential order in a different bank, and I merely have to input the starting patch for each song.

Works really well for me, and like I said, I'd expect the M50 would have something similar available.

• Members

Well, you just save your combis in the order of playing them in the song, overwriting others in whichever bank you need. Then just use a footswitch to change the program. It's that easy. If there's no user bank, you should be able to overwrite the factory presets, right?

• Members

Hi Skier,

I would recommend Michael's suggestion. Also, if you haven't already joined

Karma Lab Forums http://www.karma-lab.com/forum/index.php

or

Korg Forums http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/index.php

I suggest that you do so asap. That's where the Korg veterans participate and that's where you will get the best expert advice specific to the M50.

Cheers,

Eric

Archived