Pedal Guard Pro

bassred

• Members

Got the Pedal Guard Pro in the mail last week (I was on vacation, so I just picked it up Thursday),

It is, as expected, a strong metal design and it works great on a dark stage (had a few times at last night's show that I really needed it - the tech was having fun with the lighting and I was in the dark during guitar solos that were happening on stage left... stage right was BLACK)

So far, so good! With the 8 inch rise of black metal that now faces the audience, I think I'll make some graphics to go on the PGP so everyone will know who I am!

I can't see many gigging boards sporting on of these at $100

I dunno... it does have certain advantages over individual clip-on board lights, such as a wider throw of light and more consistent light levels... which can be important if you use a photo-resistive controller of some sort. But at $99, it is a bit on the expensive side. Since rack shelves are also expensive and are probably made out of similar materials, I guess I have to assume that the raw sheet steel and sheet aluminum are fairly expensive and/or are difficult or expensive to fabricate. :idk:

OTOH... If you play in bars where things get tossed at the stage on occasion, or people get bumped and accidentally send their drink flying towards the bandstand, something like that could offer a degree of protection for your pedals. One saved pedal and it's paid for itself...

• Members

I dunno... it does have certain advantages over individual clip-on board lights, such as a wider throw of light and more consistent light levels... which can be important if you use a photo-resistive controller of some sort. But at $99, it is a bit on the expensive side. Since rack shelves are also expensive and are probably made out of similar materials, I guess I have to assume that the raw sheet steel and sheet aluminum are fairly expensive and/or are difficult or expensive to fabricate.
:idk:

I can see where it would better a diy effort of a couple of clip-ons, even partial protection against a wayward drink, it's just the cost that I makes me think that these won't be part of most gigging boards. The economical makeshift efforts will still be a more popular choice for those with these concerns. For example in a previous thread about this someone mentioned covering their board in cellophene as an anti-drink measure.

• Members

I totally agree with the price issue. I won this on a Facebook contest (see, if you enter enough contests you will win something! Actually, I won the Eneloop rechargeable pedal power supply and a few sets of mid-priced earbuds, guitar strings... heck yeah!) but I do really like the concept.

I'm a big enough branding fiend that I love the idea of some cool white graphics on there. My wife has a really cool computer-controlled cutting machine (think Cricket, but USB and more control!) so I am going to see about getting some white and/or Red sticky plastic so I can make some killer graphics!

The lights are great and bright and really were better than any clip-light option I've seen.

• Members

I like what it does but not the actual product. Carrying that big bent piece of metal around would be a deal breaker for me. Not a very elegant solution to a problem. I also agree $100 for a big bent piece of metal seems like more money than I would want to pay.

4991170_orig.jpg

• Members

....... Carrying that big bent piece of metal around would be a deal breaker for me. Not a very elegant solution to a problem. I also agree $100 for a big bent piece of metal seems like more money than I would want to pay.

Yeah, I'm going to work on an easy way to haul it next

• Members

Of course, you know a DIY answer is coming:

Velcro strip, about 3 feet wide. Apply to the front of your pedalboard
+ a "Keeley Mod" consisting of 10 added bigarse LEDs
+ TU-1000

:thu:

....do I have to spell out where the other half of the velcro strip goes?

Archived