How many guitars do you bring to a gig?

npfrs

• Members

I have a '59 ES-125, '79 SG, and a Cabronita Tele - I almost always have the ES and Tele at a gig (which turned out way handy this past weekend playing under and outdoor tent with faaaar to much humidity - the ES would not stay in tune, so whole tele set...).

Anyways.... have you ever brought more than 2 guitars to a gig? I know having a back-up is a safe bet, but what about bringing 4/5/6/etc, for different flavors, tunings, and so on?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I always bring two, but my band plays in D standard and I can't be arsed to keep two of my guitars down-tuned so if I have to switch to the backup I still have to drop everything down a step.

two teles and a banjo

What do you use to amp up the banjo?

• Members

When I was younger I thought it was necessary to take like 7 different guitars to each gig. I thought minor tonal changes were going to be a big deal in those dive bars. :lol:

In my last band though I used to do 3 guitars. My main one, one I built a Kaoss Pad into, and then a backup. Eventually I ditched the Kaoss Pad guitar, so I just brought my main one, and then a backup. I wouldn't even switch during sets unless I broke a string.

• Members

Flirting with disaster? Maybe. I only bring one guitar as of late. I haven't broken a string while playing in maybe 6 years and I have a relatively caveman attack with a metal pick... I used to carry a second, back up but I have never had the occasion to use it so i stopped... Pedal patch cables however... I bring at least 3 six inch patch cables cause it seems no matter how flawless my set up works in the practice space it's at a show when a cable decides to crap out and turn to a static / noisy mess.

• Members

I bring two of the exact same guitar (except for color) set up exactly the same way so that if something happens to one of them or I break a string I'm able to get through the rest of the gig as if nothing happened. I've seen guys kill their set by breaking a string on their Les Paul and then reach for the stock Squire Strat that they used to play with the old strings on it to finish out their set. Your backup guitar shouldn't be a penalty box for breaking a string. :o

• Members

I bring two of the exact same guitar (except for color) set up exactly the same way so that if something happens to one of them or I break a string I'm able to get through the rest of the gig as if nothing happened. I've seen guys kill their set by breaking a string on their Les Paul and then reach for the stock Squire Strat that they used to play with the old strings on it to finish out their set. Your backup guitar shouldn't be a penalty box for breaking a string.
:o

i'm with you on this a hundred percent. i used to bring two 'cause i break strings like mad. they weren't the exact same, but similar les paul type guitars (one les paul and one vintage ibanez artist). then i got real broke for a while and had to sell the les paul. now i only have one guitar and it sucks. i pretty much have to change strings before every show to be sure i'm not going to break one. it really really sucks to break a string five minutes into a 15 minute song and not have a backup guitar. i'm going to buy another guitar eventually and i'm pretty sure i'm just going to get another ibanez artist exactly like the one i have.

Archived