Looking for great high gain pedals, where to start?

seantz

• Members

I'm currently in the market for a good high gainer. I want something capable of tight modern tones without sounding harsh or overly trebly. Just for reference I'm currently playing through a koch Multitone 2x12 combo its an el34 model. My current set up goes like this guitar>ts808>bob burt od>amp(carbon copy in the loop) This amp is capable of some pretty epic high gain tones but I have the gain channel set for a meduim type crunch tone that cleans up well, this channel really shines this way. Anyhow what say you? Trying to keep my bored to a minimal amount of pedals so if you could have one for high gain tones what would it be? Here are some I'm interested in Wampler TripleWreck/soviergn, Suhr riot, Elements.....anything else?

• Members

Dr. Sci The Elements.... /thread

It can do clean boost, low / medium gain all the way to cranked marshall and beyond hi-gain. In my experience it's never harsh the treble is actually very usable and only icepicky if you set it that way. I run my treble at around 11 o'clock and its nice and sweet even with the gain dimed using a jazzmaster.

• Members

Kinda depends what type of tones you're after I guess. The ones you mensioned aren't much alike. The Riot pretty much sounds like a hot rodded 70s marshall, hardrock/glam metal, very fizzy impo. The triple wreck is supposed to gimmick mesa recto tones obviously. Not sure if the elements is based on anything in particular, but judging on the clips I'd say it's a really versatile pedal with high gain tones that remind me of tool/apc. I guess I coud work for a more typical modern brootzy sound too though, but it sure has a fuzzy character to it, which I personally really love...

You might wanna try out the Barber Dirty Bomb if you don't insist on spending

I could name a few others that made a pretty good impression on me, but in general none of the pricey boutique high gain peds are really worth the money impo.

I'd love to hear about the new EQD Talons though. EQD stuff doesn't usually sell for boutique prices, but the ones I tried/heard sound like a million bucks...

• Members

The V1 Emma Reeza I have is awesome for high gain. Best I've had for sure.

That's their Rat based distortion, right? Isn't the Pisdyiwwhateveritscalled supposed to be their even high gain 'metal' distortion though?

• Members

That's their Rat based distortion, right? Isn't the Pisdyiwwhateveritscalled supposed to be their even high gain 'metal' distortion though?

I don't think it's Rat-based at all. At least, it doesn't sound like any Rat I've ever played. :idk:

And the PisdiYAUwot is their "metal" pedal, yes... but the Reeza has PLENTY of gain on tap. The Pisdi is too much IMO.

Here's a quick/dirty comparison demo I did (mostly for personal reasons) between my Reeza and an MP SGD:

ZMO6JmqC88s

That's a tele w/ Lollar specials in drop D through my 8w Dr. Z.

• Members

i had a riot. really great pedal. it's true that it has a kind of old marshally kind of tone with a hair metal sort of flair. lots of gain on tap and a screaming mid range. i don't play anything remotely like hair metal, but i really liked this pedal. i'm into a marshally kind of distortion for high gain, therefore, a lot of the hair metal types of pedals appeal to me.

i now have an elements. it's {censored}ing mind blowing. incedibly versatile and was cause for selling the riot. i run it with a slightly fuzzier character than i did the riot, but only slightly. it's still a nice crisp dirt, but a little smoother than the riot. and it's so versatile i could do all kinds of {censored} with it. really a lot of good sounds there.

i haven't tried the wampler, but i'm sure it's good and seems like it could do the tight modern thing you're after. that seems like it's niche, so you should deffinitely look into it.

the emma stuff seems really geared towards the modern chugga chugga metal type of sound, which isn't the tone i'm going for but might be perect for you.

really though, the elements is good at all of it.

• Members

Yeah, The Elements.

While I don't like it's low gain tones, it's higher gain tones cannot be {censored}ed with. It can be as tight as you please, or your can make it doomy and sludgey. I was running a Dirty Bomb, which is easier to dial in, but not as versatile. The Elements can cover the same ground and so much more.

Basically, get an Elements if you can afford it. If not, Dirty Bomb.

Archived