Multi-Effects Pedal suggestoin

vcnyls

• Members

Hi all. I mostly hang out in the electric guitar forum but I came over here to see if I can get a suggestion - I am mostly an at home player and have a Vox AD30VT modeling amp which is fine for my purposes. I don't care if the effects and mods aren't 100% perfect but it's nice and gives me lots of options for sounds. That said, I don't like that I can only do two presets of tones on the amp and have been thinking about getting a nice tube amp for cleans (which is most of my playing). So, 2 quetsoins:

1) Anyone have a suggestion of a combo modeling pedal that I should pick up - Vox? Line 6? Digitec?

2) I'm going to go look at amps in the next few weeks and am assuming that any of those multi-efects pedals will work fine with any of them, but any suggestions around ones that take pedals better? I'm going to be in the 30 watt range.

Thanks,

Josh

• Members

I demo'd several recently and preferred the Zoom G3. That said, I was NOT looking at any for overdrive/distortion so I have not opinion on that aspect. It is very easy to use. It works much like having 3 pedals (one of which might be an amp) that can turn into 3 of any other pedals quickly.

• Members

I have an Egnater Rebel 30 combo. Has great cleans plus the tubes can be switched between 6V6 and EL84s or a combination of. The other nice thing is that you can go from 30w to 1w if you are playing in a quiet space. I love mine. It is so versatile and looks good too. I have a Line 6 POD XT Live, a Line 6 M9, and a small grab and go board that has a Nova Drive and Nova Delay. They all play really well through this amp with the effects in front or in the loop.

• Members

I have an Egnater Rebel 30 combo. Has great cleans plus the tubes can be switched between 6V6 and EL84s or a combination of. The other nice thing is that you can go from 30w to 1w if you are playing in a quiet space. I love mine. It is so versatile and looks good too. I have a Line 6 POD XT Live, a Line 6 M9, and a small grab and go board that has a Nova Drive and Nova Delay. They all play really well through this amp with the effects in front or in the loop.

• Members

Thanks, all. I'm going to go to a shop in the next week or so and check them out! Should be a fun trip.

I thought of something else I should add.

I might be very happy buying some olde instruments, (take the guitar in my signature for example, 60ish) but digital multiFX pedals are one area to not get anything older. The newer models are a LOT better than even a couple years ago. The DSPing is faster and algorithms more complex.

In other words get the newest models of those things suggested above. (pretty sure the numbers above are all the newest models, but just trying to save you some meh)

Happy hunting.

• Members

I've got reviews of all these units over at my site and I'd rank what I've tried in the following order (for effects use only, not regarding amp modeling quality):

Boss GT-100 - Honestly, fantastic effects and works extremely well with a real amp. Even fairly intuitive to dial in. The amp modeling is OK, but it appears you're not after that. Of course, it's the priciest unit on the list, rather big, and if you don't need all the extra bells and whistles probably overkill.

Zoom G3/5 - The easiest MFX to dial in I've ever encountered. Also allows multiple instances of effects in any order you want. You can't do custom assigns and patch mode isn't great. But the effects quality is right up there with Boss (except the pitch stuff is kinda week). There's no loop in these boxes though so you can't run them 4CM. Also, the gain in both dirtboxes and amps if way, way more than reality to a rather obscene degree. The TS model has more gain at noon than my real one maxed out.

Digitech RP - Honestly, I like the RP series effects best of everything out there. they've gone to great lengths to try and match effects controls to the real world units and when you twist dials you're going to hear something very similar to the real world counterpart in the vast majority of cases. I didn't rank the line higher as the effects chain is fixed making it a little more clumsy for live use than the GT-100 or G3/5 as a pedal board re placer. However, the RP1000 has 2 external loops and custom assigns making it pretty flexible (I've never owned that one though, only the some of the lower units and currently the GSP1101).

Line 6 M/HD - I have the HD500, and to be honest, the general quality of modulation effects is last on my list. Most of the delays are really good especially if you like a dirtier sounding delay. And there's some cool filter/synth style effects. The vast majority of the OD/Dist effects are kinda harsh sounding to my ears. I think any of the other units is not only a better value but will result in better tones.

• Members

I'd recommend taking a look at a used Boss ME-50. They have pretty cool and usable sounding effects and I've seen a lot of pros gig with them with fantastic results. Super easy to use and can be found pretty cheap on ebay. Built very solid.

If you are looking at spending a little extra ~$275, I'd say take a look at the TC Nova System. All around solid effects and very easy to use.

• Members

I forgot you were looking or amps when typing my original reply. Do check out the Egnater Rebel. If I lost all my gear in a fire and had to start over, I would get the Rebel 15 and a delay and that would keep my busy for a while. The amp covers tons of ground.

• Members

Fender HRD for an amp or the Princeton reverb

Line 6 m9 or Zoom G3 for the multi fx

BOOM. cant go wrong with either combo, i am a big fan of the m9 and have one, but i feel like it is getting a bit outdated at this point and there are some better models available on the zoom units

• Members

2) I'm going to go look at amps in the next few weeks and am assuming that any of those multi-efects pedals will work fine with any of them, but any suggestions around ones that take pedals better? I'm going to be in the 30 watt range.

You should never ASSume, or presume either.

That's one thing amp users always complain about; how a multi-fx degrades their amp's tone, especially if it's a tube amp.

IF you just play at home, I'd suggest you not buy an amp, and get a multi-fx that has amp sims you like.

That way, you can run it through any decent direct amplification system and you're all set.

(which is what I've done for YEARS, and in stereo, and it's the bombay)

Archived