Diamond Compressor, problems with loud picking sound?

uyotg

• Members

Hi all,

Here's my first real post. If it's too long to read, just skip down two paragraphs. I've been lurking for a while, reading, absorbing, learning, buying, but have held off from introducing myself because I didn't know how to do so without things getting awkward. So instead, I'm just going to disguise it in the form a question. My name is Gary, by the way.

I used to play guitar a lot when I was younger. Then I graduated, grew up, and started working :rolleyes: that was six years ago. Life's short, I'm back at it now and decided that I should treat myself to some real good effects. I've been searching these forums for what the most popular model of some such effect is, then getting it and trying it out (thank you, Google and your site: query). Today, I bring up the Diamond Compressor.

With zero experience in compressors at all, I have to say I really like what this little box does. My only gripe about it is that it catches up all my picking sounds and makes them loud. Each note has a pop in front of it. Is there a way to get rid of this? Try a different pedal? Improve my picking technique? Some other effect out there? Or is this common to all compressors?

I am getting these others coming in over the course of the next 7 days: Providence Sonic Drive (SDR-5), Providence Chrono Delay (DLY-4), Empress ParaEQ, Red Witch Empress, and a TC PolyTune Mini. Also, the Pigtronix Infinity Looper, whenever that comes out. The Providences and Pigtronix are personal picks, but the others are all thanks to you folks here.

Thanks for reading, and thanks for having me.

One more general question--why a spam thread in this forum instead of putting listings in the classifieds?

• Members

Hey Gary, welcome to the board. Compression should be a subtle effect, like more for the feel than for how it changes your tone. Are you talking about the "cluckiness" when the pedal is engaged? Try dialing back the comp knob a bit, or even play with the middle knob, I think labeled EQ. In my opinion, compressors do one of two things - they bring the cluck for that chicken pickin' attack, or they sustain the hell out of the note you play while diminishing your pick attack. I never really gelled with the Diamond comp, but its perfect for that clucky sound. Its a great pedal but wasn't really for me. If you've twiddled the knobs and can't find a sound you like, probably best to flip the Diamond - the good news is that you wont lose much money on it, as its pretty desirable. Some that I prefer are the HBE CompRessor Retro, or a Ross Comp (clone of course).

• Members

Hey Gary, welcome to the board. Compression should be a subtle effect, like more for the feel than for how it changes your tone. Are you talking about the "cluckiness" when the pedal is engaged? Try dialing back the comp knob a bit, or even play with the middle knob, I think labeled EQ. In my opinion, compressors do one of two things - they bring the cluck for that chicken pickin' attack, or they sustain the hell out of the note you play while diminishing your pick attack. I never really gelled with the Diamond comp, but its perfect for that clucky sound. Its a great pedal but wasn't really for me. If you've twiddled the knobs and can't find a sound you like, probably best to flip the Diamond - the good news is that you wont lose much money on it, as its pretty desirable. Some that I prefer are the HBE CompRessor Retro, or a Ross Comp (clone of course).

Thanks, Itchy. I definitely was looking for something more along the lines of a big sustain. I'll play around with the Diamond some more. I wish I'd known what "chicken pickin'" meant earlier!

Are the HBE and Ross more like that "clucky" type of compressor, or the pick-diminshing, tone-sustaining type? I really like the tilt EQ with the Diamond, but that picking sound is way too strong sometimes. What other great, proven compressor pedals are out there? Budget of $300.

Some other term I don't quite understand... "squishy." I'm just gonna have to hear it. Seems difficult to understand the description of a sound if you've never heard it before.

• Members

What is your compression knob set to bro?

I have it at 3 o'clock. I like the tone here, but not the picking sound. To me, it doesn't seem to do much dynamic compression until right there... and of course right there as well is where the picking sound gets too plucky for me. However, to test out its compression, I was playing very, very lightly. I might have been overestimating the compression. Pulling back on the knob and playing normally, there's not much plucking, but not much sustain from the pedal either.

• Members

Thanks, Itchy. I definitely was looking for something more along the lines of a big sustain. I'll play around with the Diamond some more. I wish I'd known what "chicken pickin'" meant earlier!

Are the HBE and Ross more like that "clucky" type of compressor, or the pick-diminshing, tone-sustaining type? I really like the tilt EQ with the Diamond, but that picking sound is way too strong sometimes.

Did you get the Diamond new or used? If its used, you might want to open it up and flip that dip switch inside. The switch is intended to allow the pedal to work better with dirt pedals farther down the chain, but I recall it being better in one of the positions for clean tones too. Yeah, I'm more into the big sustain factor as well and the Ross and HBE certainly fit that bill. I thought about keeping 2 comps on my board because of that EQ on the Diamond, but figured I should just get an EQ pedal instead! Plus, I think the HBE is a bit more versatile - you can get close to the Diamond cluck, but the sustain on the HBE kills the Diamond. All my humble opinion of course. Here's a good clip of the HBE (but still doesn't do it full justice):

[video=youtube;Wg1nKQ01vIQ]

• Members

It's new, but I'll play around it more when I can play it louder. It's already nighttime here. No attack knob on this thing, but I'll see how low I can set the compressor and still hear it in effect better when I can play louder and the home is quieter with less people.

The HBE sounds cool. I can here some clucking in there too, but I'll try to give it a try if I can find one in-store.

Thanks everyone for the input. I still hope to make the Diamond work--don't like the hassle of going through returns. I wouldn't mind trying out a few other ones, though, like the Keeley.

• Members

Here's a vid for the Empress Compressor. It explains what the controls do and you can hear their effects. This comp is probably overkill but you can set the compression ratios from 2:1 (transparent) to 10:1 (squishy). Listen to the effect of changing the attack setting of the pedal.

[video=youtube;S4kN3Pvkn2Y]

• Members

Overkill? Maybe, but I'm sold! I know I should try out more, but I'm so impressed with Empress effects just from YouTube videos.

Gonna be a choice between the Empress, the Barber Tone Press, and the HBE ComPressor Retro for now.

• Members

Overkill? Maybe, but I'm sold! I know I should try out more, but I'm so impressed with Empress effects just from YouTube videos.

Gonna be a choice between the Empress, the Barber Tone Press, and the HBE ComPressor Retro for now.

Remember it's pricey though! I see them in the US spam going for about $200 used. They are about $250 new but wait until Prymaxe or PGS are having a 15% off sale if buying new. I have the Diamond comp myself but want to change it for this one.

• Members

Remember it's pricey though! I see them in the US spam going for about $200 used. They are about $250 new but wait until Prymaxe or PGS are having a 15% off sale if buying new. I have the Diamond comp myself but want to change it for this one.

The Diamond is also about $200, so it's not much of a difference. That Empress is amazing. But if YouTube videos were any good at showing compressors, I don't think I would've ended up with the Diamond :p it's not quite my thing.

• Members

I'll give this a shot. It worries me that I couldn't notice the compression until it was past 2:30--probably something wrong with my ears. I'm not very sensitive to tone.

I don't want to overdo it though because it's new and I can return it!

I don't really "notice" the compression either. And I like it that way. Until I turn it off, that is. And then everything sounds not as awesome.

Archived