AC Power Supply - help needed

delayed delay

• Members

So I jut got an Axess MFC5 for my Timeline, and stupidly I forgot to check its power requirements before I bought it, and turns out it need 75ma, 9vAC, 5.5mm/2.1mm barrel adapter. Obviously none of my PP2+ cables fit, and I need to get this thing running by Wednesday. Can someone point me online to any specific place? Or is this as simple as making a trip to RadioShack?

• Members

Yes, Radioshack will do fine. Sucks though... what were they thinking making it AC

Scratch that. Radio shack sucks. Just checked ALL of them and none of them have a 9v AC/AC supply. I found a couple barrels that fit, but I have no idea which specific one I'd need, and the employees at radio shack are about as knowledgeable as your average GC employee.

Anyone else?

• Members

Hmm... That just might work. Are you sure that's an AC/AC power supply and not just an AC/DC power supply? That seems to be the tricky part...

It says it's AC. AC is what comes out of the wall, it means your power switches from positive to negative at a certain interval, usually 50/60 hz. DC means direct current which has a positive and a negative that stay that way like a 9V battery. If you're not sure contact the manufacturer.

• Members

It says it's AC. AC is what comes out of the wall, it means your power switches from positive to negative at a certain interval, usually 50/60 hz. DC means direct current which has a positive and a negative that stay that way like a 9V battery. If you're not sure contact the manufacturer.

Ah... Gotcha.

Well I think I figured it out - I read that someone had tried using the Line 6 AC supply, so I figured I'd try the red barrel cable for my PP2+, and it works perfectly.

Since it would work with the DL4 which is 9vAC and not harm the PP2+, it should work on the Axess MFC5 without harming anything... Right? Or is my logic failing me? :lol:

• Members

Scratch that. Radio shack sucks. Just checked ALL of them and none of them have a 9v AC/AC supply. I found a couple barrels that fit, but I have no idea which specific one I'd need, and the employees at radio shack are about as knowledgeable as your average GC employee.

Anyone else?

The only thing the red cable does is reverse polarity. (center becomes positive)

• Members

Most of the time AC inputs will accept DC if the proper RMS voltage is used. Eg. 9VAC is ~12VDC after being rectified.

Ask Axcess and see if 12VDC at the same power spec will work. If yes, then it might make finding an adapter easier, or if you have a spare 12VDC tap on the PP2+ thats even better.

• Members

You might be correct. I have no idea other then it says it's AC which might apply to the input not the output of the adapter.

that's the issue I've been running into. All of the supplies I found at radio shack were either 9vAC/DC or 18/24vAC/AC. The whole reason I thought to try the red barrel cable is because I saw someone had recommended the Line 6 power supply (DL4, MM4, etc). And since that's the cable you're supposed to use for those units, I thought it might work, and it does. I just wanna know if I'm going to burn something up...

Anyhow, gents, you've been very helpful and I REALLY appreciate your input. Thanks so much!

• Members

I'm posting across all your thread on all forums hah... I hope you see this one.

I'm not sure what brand my adapter is. The label says AT&T on it. It was given to me by a local gear geek/tech when I bought my Axess... So I really can't tell you. I'm no help at all! I can't believe it's been this big of a pain for you though, man... Good luck!

I'm gonna go look over on TGP and see if anybody gave any help

Archived