Recommend me Telecasters

pelliott

• Members

My birthday is in about two weeks -- I think I am going to Treat Yoself myself with a Tele from b-day funds. I've wanted one for some time now and I've been doing some casual glancing (the Lake Placid Blue and Alpine White Fender Standards are sexy) and I'm gonna do some hands-on testing when I get some time off next weekend, but was wondering what you bros would recommend to examine -- trying to keep it $800 or less pending how much my family loves me.

It will complement my Epi LP tuned to drop A. I plan on keeping it in standard/drop D tunings, if that makes any difference, and single coils are preferred, but buckers aren't a dealbreaker. It doesn't even have to be a Fender!

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Go play a bunch. Some of the MIM standards are made of pretty dead wood, others feel live. Even the CV Squiers are pretty good if you don't mind a thin neck. At an $800 price point you could even get into an American Special if you get a store to cut you a deal.

• Members

Thanks guys! The American Special and Baja both definitely have caught my eye. I plan on trying those, the Standard, and pretty much any I can get my hands on.

Which model is that? And those are P90s, yeah?

Black Dove. And, yep.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/fender-classic-player-telecaster-deluxe-black-dove-electric-guitar

Words cannot describe my love for that guitar.

• Members

I like the sound of Black doves but they are like the noisiest pickup in the world.

At least the ones I had were. Even in my basement where I have extremely low noise levels with single coils I couldn't play them without a noise gate. The tone was nice, though.

• Members

Play an ASAT first!!!!

Thank me later:)

This guy knows what's up.

USA G&Ls are pretty much the equivalent of CS Fenders, and used ones should be available at the top end of your budget all day long. IMO it'll stomp any new Fender you can get at that price, and some of the used ones I've seen people snag on here have been so minty fresh they might as well have been new.

Archived