Ot: do you have a good ear?

zinzin

• Members

I don't! Been trying how to play the song "la breeze" by simian. No tab to be found.

So... It starts with a ringing d and d-fretted on 7. fret string, than i think some d7 stabs and than ... Lots of chromatic shifts... Ahem... I am a bit lost than and realize i should much more often use my ears and train them.

Help me out pls?

• Members

there is a site for testing yourself on pitch somewheres on the net...its as hard as {censored}.the wife beat me....

you hear a note and then a following note and you have to press "higher" or "lower" ( was the note you just heard higher or lower than the last one?)

sound easy?

go look for it and give it a go....i'd do it for ya but i can't be arsed

• Members

there is a site for testing yourself on pitch somewheres on the net...its as hard as {censored}.the wife beat me....

you hear a note and then a following note and you have to press "higher" or "lower" ( was the note you just heard higher or lower than the last one?)

sound easy?

go look for it and give it a go....i'd do it for ya but i can't be arsed

I found it. I got above average, but I really thought I'd do better. It gets pretty tough.

http://tonometric.com/adaptivepitch/

• Members

Yeah, I score around the 90% percentile on those online test things, which is right around where they say professionally trained musicians land, but my musical abilities aren't anywhere near that level. I do pretty well with figuring out single note melody type things, but have a really tough time with chords. Of course, figuring out someone else's solo bores me to tears.

• Members

In some ways I have a great ear and feel lucky:

-could always pick out parts and eventually full pieces on piano and guitar

-had no problem doing impersonations, to whenever learning another language I was awful, but got great marks for impersonating a french person :thu:

In other ways, I've got an awful ear:

-no matter how hard I try, I can never guess the pitch of a note.

• Members

Never kludge around the guitar searching for notes. That just means you can't actually hear what you're wanting to play. Don't even touch your guitar until you can sing the part you want to play. If you can sing it, you can hear it. And if you can hear it, you can play it.

Unless you really suck.

• Members
Never kludge around the guitar searching for notes. That just means you can't actually hear what you're wanting to play. Don't even touch your guitar until you can sing the part you want to play. If you can sing it, you can hear it. And if you can hear it, you can play it.

Unless you really suck.

for an old hippy guy, youre really mean sometimes. :cry:

• Members

i got perfect pitch.

anyone can develop relative with practice and that's just as good, if not better.

I used to think I'd like perfect pitch, but I figured I play with imperfect musicians so that would just bug the {censored} out of me!

• Members
Yeah, I score around the 90% percentile on those online test things, which is right around where they say professionally trained musicians land, but my musical abilities aren't anywhere near that level. I do pretty well with figuring out single note melody type things, but have a really tough time with chords. Of course, figuring out someone else's solo bores me to tears.

Figuring out someone else's anything bores me to tears. :(

Archived