let us talk pedals with lap steel

big_cat

• Members

I've been playing and recording with a new band and it's been great. I'm using my lap steel on some songs and have experimented with some {censored}.

Firstly, a volume pedal is essential. I tried a VP jr at first but i'm now using a DOD FX17 which I prefer for it's shorter throw (also serves as a wah).

I tried a compressor just because that's what country guitar players use....turns out it kinda detracts from the swoops and swells of the instrument. It can also amplify some unwanted slide bar noise which sucks. Still though I'm using a touch of it.

Reverb is vital, too. I'm using a the 'chamber' mode on the M13 and it kills.

I often have just a touch of analog delay on, but anymore and everything starts to sound like floyd.

What are you guys using?

• Members

I use a grindy OD, but it's not something you'll likely run into: Hot Chili's Tubester CL

I've got my volume knob right in the crook of my little finger, so swells don't need no pedal.

If you want to get all spacey, a reverb/delay pedal like the dispatch Master would be fun.

Guys like Robert Randolph get away with using some wah (well, that's pedal steel, but it'd still work).

Another toy to try would be an eBow

• Members

I tried a compressor just because that's what country guitar players use....turns out it kinda detracts from the swoops and swells of the instrument. It can also amplify some unwanted slide bar noise which sucks. Still though I'm using a touch of it.

Where did you have the comp, before or after the volume pedal? It'll sound totally different either way.

I'd try a bit of fuzz, like Sneaky Pete :thu: (from 1:02 in this vid, and I know that's pedal steel, not lap steel, but :idk:)

[video=youtube;BITiY8M_oDo]

• Members

There are alot of cheap lapsteels on ebay, I might grab one just for the lulz. And to plug it into my DL4.
:love:

IMO - the big reason to get a vintage one is for the electronics; not only are the pickups way cooler sounding but the tone controls are typiclly pretty vocal sounding which is a HUGE part of the instrument. Every modern lap I've tried has completely sucked in that regard.

Archived