Sign in to follow this  
big_cat

let us talk pedals with lap steel

I've been playing and recording with a new band and it's been great. I'm using my lap steel on some songs and have experimented with some shit.

Firstly, a volume pedal is essential. I tried a VP jr at first but i'm now using a DOD FX17 which I prefer for it's shorter throw (also serves as a wah).

I tried a compressor just because that's what country guitar players use....turns out it kinda detracts from the swoops and swells of the instrument. It can also amplify some unwanted slide bar noise which sucks. Still though I'm using a touch of it.

Reverb is vital, too. I'm using a the 'chamber' mode on the M13 and it kills.

I often have just a touch of analog delay on, but anymore and everything starts to sound like floyd.

What are you guys using?

I use a grindy OD, but it's not something you'll likely run into: Hot Chili's Tubester CL

I've got my volume knob right in the crook of my little finger, so swells don't need no pedal.

If you want to get all spacey, a reverb/delay pedal like the dispatch Master would be fun.

Guys like Robert Randolph get away with using some wah (well, that's pedal steel, but it'd still work).

Another toy to try would be an eBow

i've tried wah. it's just instant blues rock and that's fully meh imo

Another toy to try would be an eBow

RtFp4.gif

def trying ebow tonight, can't believe i didnt think of that

also holy shit there are loads of amazing lap steels from the 40s and 50s on ebay for not much money.

buyer's market, son

When I still had a ring mod, I used it with my lap steel more than anything else. There were some really great sounds that came out of that combination. Now I tend to limit myself to some overdrive, tremolo/univibe, and reverb. Ebow is a lot of fun, too.

I tried a compressor just because that's what country guitar players use....turns out it kinda detracts from the swoops and swells of the instrument. It can also amplify some unwanted slide bar noise which sucks. Still though I'm using a touch of it.

Where did you have the comp, before or after the volume pedal? It'll sound totally different either way.

I'd try a bit of fuzz, like Sneaky Pete :thu: (from 1:02 in this vid, and I know that's pedal steel, not lap steel, but :idk:)

[video=youtube;BITiY8M_oDo]

Lap steel + old analog delay =

[video=youtube;tv3fKIpKCv4]

3:56

There are alot of cheap lapsteels on ebay, I might grab one just for the lulz. And to plug it into my DL4. :love:

There are alot of cheap lapsteels on ebay, I might grab one just for the lulz. And to plug it into my DL4.
:love:

IMO - the big reason to get a vintage one is for the electronics; not only are the pickups way cooler sounding but the tone controls are typiclly pretty vocal sounding which is a HUGE part of the instrument. Every modern lap I've tried has completely sucked in that regard.

I had the comp before the volume pedal in my signal chain, but I also tried it after with the 'blue comp' model on the m13. comp first sounded best imo

Tremolo is great with lap steel, and so is overdrive / distortion / fuzz. I also like a touch of vibrato. Reverb and delay are staples too.

Ebow! tremolo/vibrato, delay, reverb...

phaser/vibe, was intressting imo Chorus, flange not really IIRC never tried it with a compressor.

Fuzz, OD, etc. is great.

and now i ask myself why i never tried it with a wah.

A Whammy would be fun to mess around with in conjunction with a lap steel too.

Oh yeah, whammy on harmony mode sounds especially good.