Worst NAD Ever - Please Help - Super Reverb Meltdown

Dinosaur Sr.

• Members

So I just got a Super Reverb RI that I bought off the 'bay from UPS an hour ago. Unpacked it, looks absolutely mint. Made sure all the tubes were seated properly, then plugged her in to let her warm up. 5 Minutes later, I turn her on and immediately notice that one of the power tubes is brighter than a 100 watt bulb, and I can smell melting plastic. Worst NAD of all time.

Seller won't take returns, but the amp was not sold As-Is, and eBay says I'm covered under buyer protection. How should I proceed?

I'm REALLY hoping that I caught it before something major was destroyed.

Could that tube have just gone bad at the worst possible time or been damaged in shipping? Could it have destroyed something major within the amp itself? Any quick sage advice here would be incredibly appreciated. Kinda freaking out a bit.

• Members

Damn, that sucks. If you smelled burning plastic, I'm assuming something inside was frying -- especially given the brightness of the tube. That's not how they blow.

I'd contact the seller, tell him what happened and see if he'll pay for you to take it to an amp tech.

• Members

When sellers state 'no returns accepted' they're just wasting their breath. They can't change the rules of a paypal dispute, and if you wanted to get your money back you would definitely win the dispute. Paypal sides with the buyer every single time.

That said, use that as a last resort. If you really just want to keep the amp, contact the dude, explain what happened and see what he offers. He might offer to have it fixed, but if not then you can start a dispute on paypal and get your money back.

• Members

Thanks a lot for the advice guys, the fact that I am not forced/suckered into being the owner of a 70 pound paperweight is very reassuring, thanks Chuck.

I'm thinking a tube may have gotten beaten up during shipping and started to redplate. My worry is that the transformers might be damaged. The amp is pretty much spotless, so if the issue is simply bad tubes, I'd keep it in a heartbeat.

• Members

If one of the power tubes went bad, it probably melted/burned the board since the screen resistors (I think that's what they're called) are mounted to the board instead of the tube socket (I know because the same thing happened to me). If you smelled burning I'm sure some of the board got scorched since everything is board mounted.

eBay always sides with the buyer....I wouldn't sink money into it for repairs unless you got it for a steal. When it happened to mine, the repair was around $300...but my tech is meticulous and does {censored} right. If you've got any doubts, file a claim, send it back. He should have removed the tubes for shipping...that's a no brainer when shipping an amp...unless I'm reading wrong and he did remove them?

• Members

I would email the seller, tell him what you've had happened, and ask him if a) he wants the amp back or if b) you can take it to a Fender tech and have a written estimate to fix it, which the seller will have to pay. If he says no to either, then start the paypal dispute.

And yeah, I would ship an amp with the tubes removed, just too risky otherwise.

• Members

Yeah, I don't know who in their right mind ships an amp with the tubes in the sockets, let alone an amp with 9 tubes. Terrible odds.

I got the amp for $700, and like I said, looks fresh off the showroom floor, so if they offer to have it looked at, I'm not opposed.

• Members

File a claim if the seller doesn't wanna help and send it back. I bought a Sunn Solarus off of ebay and I had it about 30 minutes before it dies and I had black {censored} from one of the caps leaking out everywhere. He said no returns in the auction, but he ended up taking it back. I had to pay return shipping, but I didn't mind it so much because I don't think the guy intentionally sold me a piece of {censored} broken amp on purpose. I probably could have filed a dispute anyway and gotten my money back and not had to pay shipping, but I just felt like that would have been a dick move on my part since the guy was cool about it. Sorry about your failed NAD, I know how you feel.

• Members

Yeah, I don't know who in their right mind ships an amp with the tubes in the sockets, let alone an amp with 9 tubes. Terrible odds.

I got the amp for $700, and like I said, looks fresh off the showroom floor, so if they offer to have it looked at, I'm not opposed.

Right on....but just remember....amps aren't for looking, they're for sounding good.

• Members

Right on....but just remember....amps aren't for looking, they're for sounding good.

Absolutely, I guess my point is that I don't think this was something intentionally sold broken, I think it was due to poor packaging. I don't think they ever were able to use the amp too much. So if a tech gives it a clean bill of health with a new set of tubes, I would keep it in a heartbeat, because I doubt I would find another one as cheap if I send it back.

• Members

Just got a reply from the seller. Looks like they're going the "worked when it left, not my problem" route. They said I should try Guitar Center to see if it's still under warranty and "let them know how I make out"... No thanks.

I am comfortable enough working in a tube amp to at least see if something on the board got melted/fried or to be able to swap out the tubes and rebias the amp to see if everything is copacetic. So now I'm just trying to decide whether I should suck it up and figure it out myself, or whether I should let this get messy and make a dispute if the seller won't help.

• Members

The no returns thing is more for sellers who sell stuff people may decide they don't want and want to send back, it's part of ebay becoming more of a store than an auction house.

If you get sent something that is either not as described or not working then you still have a right to return it.

• Members

If seller wants to be a douche like that (he should have known to take the tubes out in shipping), I'd file a dispute with eBay/PP and just do it that way.

Yep.

I once sold a pedal that was working when I shipped it but it was DOA when the buyer tried to use it.

I paid to have it sent back and got it fixed myself and eventually resold it.

Sucked but it was the right thing to do.

• Members

I feel for the guy to some extent, I mean, it does suck to be in his shoes if he really had no idea of any issues. I just messaged him and told him I'm more than willing to do the legwork and bring it somewhere to have someone licensed take a quick look, check it for damage, etc. But I told him I have no intention on absorbing the costs for the repairs, whether he wants to file a complaint with UPS like he mentioned is up to him. As long as I'm not the one taking the hit.

• Members

I agree with the points above. I've been sold amps that have been damaged in shipping/possibly sold to broken. I was neive about it. I should of been more aggressive in my approach in the end I was stuck with the repairs both times. Granted I really wanted the amps and they were both vintage and somewhat hard to come by. Both work great now though.

If it was damaged in shipping the seller has shipping insurance right? So he needs to file a claim. Whatever happens you should not be stuck with repairs. I have 2 amps I can never sell because I'll lose my ass if I do so take it from my experience and do whatever is necessary to either get it fixed on his dime/insurance payout or return it for a full refund.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived