DIY: modding my Keeley Rat knobs to expand their range??

arcadesonfire

• Members

Hello DIY experts,

I've had a Keeley Rat for 8 years, and it's great. But on both the distortion and volume knobs, I never go past noon, and they're usually always set around 9am. I use it through a Traynor Bassmaster and Fender HRD which are both loud and breaking up, so I wish I could get even lower volume and dist settings on the Rat, BUT! when I turn the knobs down a little lower than 9am, there's a point where they instantly cut the sound way down. It's more apparent with the distortion knob. Suddenly the volume drops way way down, and the sound is thin and tinny.

Does this sound like something that can be remedied by replacing the pots with different values? Or does it sound like some other problem?

I like the tone of the Fat Rat mode on this pedal the most, but it's got a lot of output and gain. So it would be great if I could have the full sweep of the dist and vol pots covering what the am side of the dials cover right now. Thanks for any thoughts.

• Members

1) if it isn't part of what Keeley did, do the "reutz mod". You just clip a resistor to lower the volume/gain but it adds back bass.

2) If you don't go past noon with Gain and Volume then you may want to use some pots that are half of the value of the originals. The rat uses 100k so you'd want something at 50k. 47k is a much more common value. Search for alpha 47k reverse log pots (47kC). Small bear probably has them. If they don't Mouser definitely does but that site is much harder to search for.

With those pots turned all the way up it will be the equivalent of the old pots at noon. The reverse log should help the problem of the gain changes being dramatic at the low points. Although, I thought the rat used reverse log stock anyways so who knows.

• Members

1) if it isn't part of what Keeley did, do the "reutz mod". You just clip a resistor to lower the volume/gain but it adds back bass.

2) If you don't go past noon with Gain and Volume then you may want to use some pots that are half of the value of the originals. The rat uses 100k so you'd want something at 50k. 47k is a much more common value. Search for alpha 47k reverse log pots (47kC). Small bear probably has them. If they don't Mouser definitely does but that site is much harder to search for.

With those pots turned all the way up it will be the equivalent of the old pots at noon. The reverse log should help the problem of the gain changes being dramatic at the low points. Although, I thought the rat used reverse log stock anyways so who knows.

Thanks man. I knew it had to be something simple with the pot values, but I've been out of the electronics game so long I wanted someone to point me the right direction. I'll start my searching. Hopefully this will fix the sudden drop-out business too.

Archived