How do I get this guitar sound?

Lee Knight

• Moderators

Pardon me for crashing your party. And sorry for the hopelessly noob question but I'm a bass player. I do, however, record my demos and play guitar well enough. So I use an OCD, and Seymour Duncan Tweak Fuzz, an old Boss CS-2 compressor. My old Yamaha guitar which I love...

yamaha_aex502_003.jpg

...into a Blackheart 5 watter and a 112 Avatar sealed cab. It sounds great. But I want this... :) Any ideas for pedals that might give me that cool mud that's still articulate?

[video=youtube;Wx0cJdnLz-Y]

• Members

I'd use the middle or neck position on your switch and yeah, just plug into your guitar straight into your blakheart and crank the volume, but go easy on the gain.

Perhaps a Fuzz Face with the volume way back on the guitar.

It kinda sounds like a mix between power tube breakup and fuzz.

Maybe that Analogman Astro Tone would do the job?

• Moderators

...but yeah, plug in, turn up, mic against the cloth-> apa preamp-> compress a bit on the back end.

API? I'm using an API, usually a 57 along with a Fathead Ribbon. And yeah, cranking the amp gets close but there seems to be a pedal to me. Something inducing that modulation in the bass. And yes, driving the OCD with the CS-2 is an awesome sound but it's not this.

Fuzz Face?

Thanks for the input on this. I'll try a Fuzz Face.

• Members

API? I'm using an API, usually a 57 along with a Fathead Ribbon. And yeah, cranking the amp gets close but there seems to be a pedal to me. Something inducing that modulation in the bass. And yes, driving the OCD with the CS-2 is an awesome sound but it's not this.

Fuzz Face?

yeah, sorry, been reading too many psych articles today. haha. API.

I just listened to it again, and I think the bass is a big part of that wooly sound. Almost sounds like a 5e3 turned up, though.

• Members

Fuzz Face?

A good silicon fuzz face into the blackheart will sound fantastic. I used that pair for a long time and was super happy with it. Only moved on for more clean headroom :(

You can get a lot of sounds with just that combo and I'm sure you could get a real close approximation of the sound in the video you posted.

Awesome guitar by the way.

• Members

yeah, sorry, been reading too many psych articles today. haha. API.

I just listened to it again, and I think the bass is a big part of that wooly sound. Almost sounds like a 5e3 turned up, though.

I'll agree with the 5E3, or at least a tweed something. It has that midrange grit to it.

• Moderators

A good silicon fuzz face into the blackheart will sound fantastic. I used that pair for a long time and was super happy with it. Only moved on for more clean headroom
:(

You can get a lot of sounds with just that combo and I'm sure you could get a real close approximation of the sound in the video you posted.

I just listened to a Fuzz Face demo on youtube and... that's it! Thanks guys. That's the sound.

• Moderators
A good silicon fuzz face into the blackheart will sound fantastic. I used that pair for a long time and was super happy with it. Only moved on for more clean headroom
:(

I just listened to a Fuzz Face demo on youtube and... that's it! Thanks guys. That's the sound.

Archived