Andromeda seld edit or tuning foibles? Simple fix!

The Real MC

• Members

I have a beta unit from my beta testing days on the Andromeda.

My unit has had two problems in the past. One, it would go into "self edit" and certain knobs would not go to full scale. I had to re-seat the ribbon cable connectors but as this happened more frequently I ultimately replaced the ribbon cables/connectors on the front panel boards.

Two, some voices started to fail. I could cure this ailment by applying pressure to the ribbon cable connector on the analog board, which told me that the connector contacts were failing. New ribbon cables/connectors cured the problem.

As a precaution I went the whole nine yards and replaced ALL the ribbon cables. I now have a prefectly functioning Andromeda.

• Members

To be fair, I haven't read of many complaints of the "self edit" problem. The faulty voice seems to be more common (they had a bad production rash a couple of years ago), and that didn't appear on my unit until it had five years on the road.

Keep in mind that my beta unit was built in 2000 before they went into production.

• Members

My first A6 had a few problems, a non-functioning ribbon among them.

I returned it for a different unit which is A-OK.

But your post has me wondering if the ribbon was a cause of a few other symptoms I noticed - like occasional failure to boot up and some display irregularities.:confused:

• Members

Semi-thread-hijack: how do you guys deal with the A6's lack of an "original value" indicator? It's annoying when I load a patch and want to tweak a value, I have to dig into the menu until I can find the value of the setting I want to change, so I can start the knob from the correct position. Is there a better way? Do you guys prefer the "move through value" knob behavior instead?

• Members

i prefer the 'pass-through' to the jump-to-parameter, especially when improvising.

you can alsopunch the 'view' button in each section to see the original value w/out touching any knobs.

mine doesn't self-edit, but it does lose knob scale/range, on the Filter Keytrack knob(s) ONLY. Also, my 'Chord' memory button does nothing - except when pressed OS gives a 'future update' message.

I don't know what OS I'm using either, since the button-combo specified in the manual doesn't do it.

• Members

You can always use the Compare button to find the original value of a parameter after changing it.

Shaft9000, sounds like yours has old firmware. You can download the current firmware from Alesis's website and update it via SysEx.

When I had my Andy opened up (to fix a battery/memory backup problem), my ribbon connectors are similar in construction to the IDE ribbon cables used to connect hard/floppy drives in computers. They seem pretty solid. Maybe the beta units used cheaper connectors.

Archived