Lets Talk about Compressors

Naterel

• Members

I like either something very subtle like the Diamond or extreme like the Celmo Sardine Can. Anything in the middle I don't really see the point in owning. The Diamond can squish like a Dyna Comp about 2/3s up without killing your pick attack - that's plenty for chickin' pickin' for me. The Selmo is just ridiculous - like a slammed VU meter on an old console. So trashy it's awesome.

• Members

:lol:

Wow, with that image you can really SEE the difference! The waveform LOOKS so much nicer when the comp is on, next time I'm playing guitar I'm going to spend more time LOOKING at the sound to make sure it sounds good! :wave:

I like either something very subtle like the Diamond or extreme like the Selmo Sardine Can. Anything in the middle I don't really see the point in owning. The Diamond can squish like a Dyna Comp about 2/3s up without killing your pick attack - that's plenty for chickin' pickin' for me. The Selmo is just ridiculous - like a slammed VU meter on an old console. So trashy it's awesome.

"Sardine Can" - ROTFL What a great name! :lol:

• Members

I have found I prefer compression coming from the amp/speakers. I don't like the plunky sound of a pedal.

Every single CD and MP3 track you have listened to has had some form of compression done to it, at least in post-processing. The "natural" compression from a tube amp is just one form of compression. There are two ways to use a compressor: as an effect, or subtle. Your plunky description would fall into the first use.

• Members

I've never understood the 'on all the time' approach - to me that's a band-aid issue for the amp being used. Comp is for me when I want to level out clean finger-picked type stuff or slam the amp with volume and a little squish for solos or a drastic altering of the dynamic range for a sonic effect like the 12-string intro of 'Eight Miles High' - the Celmo excels at that kind of stuff.

[video=youtube;WH6UnvSlahc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WH6UnvSlahc

Archived