NAD: Fender Twin Reverb RI

• Members

Well, I picked up "The Beast" yesterday. It is a monster, but man it sounds good. I've never had an amp like this before. I took it straight to practice, turned it on, ran my guitar and a mic for my vocal through it and WOW. There is no where to hide when you are playing through a Twin. Cleans that reveal your slightest mistake. That will take some getting used to. Plus I had to redial all of my overdrives and fuzz.

Is there any way to activate the vibrato with out the footswitch?

• Members

very cool man. great amps.

unfortunately you cant activate the vibrato without the footswitch, but they arent hard to come by.

ive always wanted a twin. maybe one day when i stop being a {censored} and quit complaining about how heavy my amps are ill get one.

• Members

Well, I picked up "The Beast" yesterday. It is a monster, but man it sounds good. I've never had an amp like this before. I took it straight to practice, turned it on, ran my guitar and a mic for my vocal through it and WOW. There is no where to hide when you are playing through a Twin.
Cleans that reveal your slightest mistake. That will take some getting used to.
Plus I had to redial all of my overdrives and fuzz.

If you are running something single coil like a strat or tele with a maple neck it's especially nerve-racking...absolutely nowhere to hide. It's an awesome pedal platform, though.

• Members

If you are running something single coil like a strat or tele with a maple neck it's especially nerve-racking...absolutely nowhere to hide. It's an awesome pedal platform, though.

Dead on. Strat with rosewood neck. Super nerve wracking. Might throw a cannabis Rex in there to darken things a little, but I really dig it. I also need to change my strings.

Zappa, low output single coils and the #2 input and I am up to 5 without deafening myself. Haha

Turn it down man, I can hear that {censored} from here.

:lol:

Short the vibrato jack. IOW, the pin and sleeve of the RCA jack. Easiest way to do it is to get a raw RCA connector at Radio Shack and short the tip and sleeve inside the plug with a short piece of wire. Plug it into the vibrato footswitch jack, and the vibrato will be active. :wave:

• Members

Dead on. Strat with rosewood neck. Super nerve wracking. Might throw a cannabis Rex in there to darken things a little, but I really dig it. I also need to change my strings.

Zappa, low output single coils and the #2 input and I am up to 5 without deafening myself. Haha

Watch it with the volume. I've had an early '70s silverface for about a dozen years, rarely played above 3 in a reasonably big but reverberant room, and I developed tinnitus in one ear earlier this year. Came out of nowhere, no obvious trigger where I listened to something loud and the ringing in my ears after that didn't stop. Might be from too many loud concerts for too many years, might be from the amp. Cranking it at 5 is about right for a room that holds 1000+. And yeah, I've cranked it up to 5 or 6 a few times in a room smaller than that.

Besides the "wall of reverb" mentioned above, I've found that OD a la Neil Young works a little better than distortion to mask sloppiness, but in some ways using a little delay works too. Still, it's kind of scary running my strat on the neck or middle pickup on a day where I feel a little off.

• Members

Watch it with the volume. I've had an early '70s silverface for about a dozen years, rarely played above 3 in a reasonably big but reverberant room, and I developed tinnitus in one ear earlier this year. Came out of nowhere, no obvious trigger where I listened to something loud and the ringing in my ears after that didn't stop. Might be from too many loud concerts for too many years, might be from the amp. Cranking it at 5 is about right for a room that holds 1000+. And yeah, I've cranked it up to 5 or 6 a few times in a room smaller than that.

Besides the "wall of reverb" mentioned above, I've found that OD a la Neil Young works a little better than distortion to mask sloppiness, but in some ways using a little delay works too. Still, it's kind of scary running my strat on the neck or middle pickup on a day where I feel a little off.

the RI's don't have near the volume of the early silverfaces. not even close.

• Members

I reckon that's a pretty good idea. Everytime I've ever used a Twin with my Strat it has been a bit of an unpleasant experience. It just sounds so stiff!!

• Members

Regardless if the early silverfaces have heaps more volume on tap, the RI still has plenty enough to give you hearing problems. Be safe with that thing man, and congrats. I'm by no means any type of amp guru but the RI I owned was my favorite ever. By a long shot.

If you're just jamming solo, then yeah, you'll hear lots of mistakes. If in practice/gig and you can hear every mistake, you might want to think about turning down a hair and sitting equal/just under the "mix".

Have fun with the amp man, I know I did.

• Members

Ambassador Daudzai said both of them sides will often assess their bilateral economic relationship, particularly by view of this reopened Nato supply routes. Unquestionably the repatriation off Afghan refugees will furthermore be discussed.

Egyptian passengers fed up in waiting pertaining to their train at move put logs but also rocks to the rails of a nearby track, causing two other trains if you want to collide on Tuesday, an Egyptian security official said. Inside least four people were injured.

Since last year

• Members
Turn it down man, I can hear that {censored} from here.

Even with all the amps I have, I'll never sell my Twin. It probably more so than any other amp - made me a better player because as stated - there is no where to hide a missed note or bad note and it rings out clear as a bell to everyone within listening distance - which as anyone with a Twin knows - covers ALOT of distance :)

Congrats and enjoy the tons of clean headroom, the sparkling reverb and sweet vibrato. Also, as stated already, one of the greatest pedal platforms out there! :eek:

• Members

Even with all the amps I have, I'll never sell my Twin. It probably more so than any other amp - made me a better player because as stated - there is no where to hide a missed note or bad note and it rings out clear as a bell to everyone within listening distance - which as anyone with a Twin knows - covers ALOT of distance
:)

Congrats and enjoy the tons of clean headroom, the sparkling reverb and sweet vibrato. Also, as stated already, one of the greatest pedal platforms out there!
:eek:

Thanks man! :wave:

After the first practice, I will definitely be running it closer to 3 in the future, to preserve my hearing and to help cover up mistakes. I may throw some less efficient speakers in it as well, but I do like the clarity and the crispness of the sound.

I think the RI Twins are 85 watts, while the Silverface's were 100, but I don't know for sure, and its not a huge difference in real volume anyway.

I will probably be selling my Hall of Fame and maybe adding a compressor to my board, to help thicken up the strat a little bit.

• Members

The late-era Silverfaces got all the way up to 135 watts. Fearsome.

I generally play through a Deluxe Reverb RI, which I love. But last weekend I played a gig at a venue that had a Twin RI in the backline. I plugged into that thing and it sounded so goddamned good that I can't stop thinking about it. So much fuller and richer.

Good score.

• Members

Thanks man!
:wave:

After the first practice, I will definitely be running it closer to 3 in the future, to preserve my hearing and to help cover up mistakes. I may throw some less efficient speakers in it as well, but I do like the clarity and the crispness of the sound.

I think the RI Twins are 85 watts, while the Silverface's were 100, but I don't know for sure, and its not a huge difference in real volume anyway.

I will probably be selling my Hall of Fame and maybe adding a compressor to my board, to help thicken up the strat a little bit.

Mine is the 100 watt '72-'74 version of the silverface, but it has JBL k120 speakers in it, which both ups the volume and increases the clarity. The huge magnets on those also drives the weight of the amp up to around 100 lbs. Needless to say, it's on casters.

Oh, and on using a strat with the twin, you should probably play around with the settings on both the guitar and the amp some before you start investing in a compressor pedal (I know, heresy on HCFX). Roll your tone down to 7 or 8 on the strat, volume there or maybe at 5-6. That will thicken the sound up some and reduce the potential for having things get too ice-picky. FWIW I also play a lot of the time on the middle pickup, which also thickens things up. I use 9-3-3 settings on the treble-mids-bass on the amp, which really cuts through, but there are other "preferred" settings listed on the net when using a strat with a twin.

• Members

Mine is the 100 watt '72-'74 version of the silverface, but it has JBL k120 speakers in it, which both ups the volume and increases the clarity. The huge magnets on those also drives the weight of the amp up to around 100 lbs. Needless to say, it's on casters.

Oh, and on using a strat with the twin, you should probably play around with the settings on both the guitar and the amp some before you start investing in a compressor pedal (I know, heresy on HCFX). Roll your tone down to 7 or 8 on the strat, volume there or maybe at 5-6. That will thicken the sound up some and reduce the potential for having things get too ice-picky. FWIW I also play a lot of the time on the middle pickup, which also thickens things up. I use 9-3-3 settings on the treble-mids-bass on the amp, which really cuts through, but there are other "preferred" settings listed on the net when using a strat with a twin.

I did mess with that while I was at practice and I found some pretty good settings with the tone rolled off on the guitar. I also rolled back the volume and as you said, it really thickened things up. I will continue to experiment before I make any moves.

Mine is also on casters, which is nice. I believe mine is about 70ish lbs. Not horrible, but not very light either. But for the sounds it puts out, it's worth the heavy lifting.

Archived