DOD Distortion FX55?

joeybcdt

• Members

dod_fx56.jpg = aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.jpg

Same circuit, same sound. I am going to modify my FX56 so it has bass, middle, and treble controls like both of these pedals should have originally had.

I've never had the FX55 but I have an FX50 and an FX55B. The FX50 is great, a chimey overdrive. The FX55's circuit is essentially the same but with a lot more gain. Both pedals roll off bass significantly at high gain settings. The FX55B kind of sucks stock but it can be modified to not suck easily. It's the same circuit board as the FX52 but with a few parts changed and some clipping diodes removed.

• Members

Fx55 supra distortion seems like its DODs answer to the DS1. Very trebly and fizzy in most settings but it can be modded into a respectable distortion

Or you could realize that the fx55 has no tone knob and is fairly different than the buzzy fizzy fx55b

• Members

The fx56B SAM shares with the Boss Heavy metal that the high EQ is more an upper midrange (2.5K for the Boss) than treble. That's one secret to using the DOD, "presence" is mids not treble, for a scooped metal sound turn it DOWN not up, then set bass to taste. It's an obvious plasticky stompbox metal sound but good at that. It also does a very good lighter distortion with the presence up just a notch above midpoint. Presence all the way up is total cocked-wah territory only and probably has a lot to do with the pedal's bad reputation. The normal setting is GREAT for soloing in front of a cranked amp. Takes the "edge" off as well as adding a bunch of gain, gives a very smooth sustain. Also try it DI'd, it's filtered enough the highs aren't TOO harsh even without cab sim, one of the coolest fuzz sounds I've ever heard.

The FX55C's, unmodded, make a natural amp-like distortion when listened to in an "analytic" mode but there's something annoying about the character after awhile. There's actually at least 2 versions of the "C" version, one has about 10 times as much gain and is fairly awesome, while the later versions are good if you prefer low-mid gain. I thought the "B" version was laughable but it was along time ago and I probably didn't give it a fair chance.

• Members

Looks like the vintage DOD market is starting to heat up. Not super happy about that.

I'm seeing limited supply on a bunch of stuff and prices have been rising lately on models that had been steady for years.

Also, the secret is obviously out on the Performer Series. I've never seen prices so high: $200+ for 585's? :(

Balls I say! Balls!

• Members

Someone on eBay is currently trying to sell a bunch of DOD pedals at stupid prices, like a DOD bass compressor for 175 bucks.

There's a DOD Performer pedalboard up on eBay too with three pedals and an ultra-rare Pedalboard/PSU. One of the pedals is a 545, I've seen single 545's go for $500 before. I'm curious to see where this one tops out.

Archived