Goatkeeper trem - achieveing time signature

vidret

• Members

Was trying to turn this into a pattern on the goatkeeper, my head can't withstand the math. i'm weak.

the idea is 1 beat for 8 beats then 2 beats for the last 2 beats - for a total of 10 beats. i guess that'd be 5/2 or 10/4.

as such:

1 | 1 | 1 | 1 | 1 | 1 | 1 | 1 | 2 | 2

which i guess you could take down to:

2 | 2 | 2 | 2 | 4

after that i'm stuck. I could put the first 8 beats on one of the patterns but I'd end up with too many beats on the last. any mathematics to this to make it work? keep in mind the waveshape function (any number of waves x multiplied by 1/2/3/4/5/6/8/16, no sound at all or full amplitude).

with 5 slots to do patterns it'd be easy, just set it to the above sequence.

picture of a goat to motivate yous.

goatstare.jpg

they're saying "help us do time signature!"

• Members

i take it you want the last two steps double time but only two pulses each, not half time, right? not possible, there aren't enough steps in the sequencer to do something like that. MAYBE if you had a click track with what you want running into the sync in jack and just set up a single step set to 1x, but I haven't really used that feature at all so I can't say how accurate or responsive it is to quick changes.

• Members

In one of the user waveform slots, record 4 cycles of the wave - //// - then play it back at 1 | 1 | 2 (or, I guess technically, 1 | 1 | 2 | >> )

thought about that, it'd give me:

4 | 4 | 8

expanded into:

1 - 1 - 1 - 1 - 1 - 1 - 1 - 1 - 2 - 2 - 2 - 2

the time signature would end up as 3/4 no? the last part (the 2's) need to be halved, putting the entire thing at 2,5 not 3. but you can't do that.

• Members

Actually, thinking about it now, you could use something like the little orange box i have in the first video to get this effect. Just tap the Goatkeeper's LFO to sync with the delay time, set to double beats, and use the momentary switch to engage the double speed for the last two beats. Only a $40 pedal here in Aus. I'm sure someone could make the same thing in the US for cheaps. It's just an latching off/on, and momentary "on" pedal. The orange pedal is connected between the GK LFO Out and the DSD-3's Trigger In. It's just stopping or letting the LFO signal go into the DSD-3.

Or record a basic metronone track, put it onto an old ipod or something, connect to GK sync input.

That's about all the help i can offer.

• Members

thought about that, it'd give me:

4 | 4 | 8

expanded into:

1 - 1 - 1 - 1 - 1 - 1 - 1 - 1 - 2 - 2 - 2 - 2

the time signature would end up as 3/4 no? the last part (the 2's) need to be halved, putting the entire thing at 2,5 not 3. but you can't do that.

Dang, you're right... Okay, so do the same thing - 4 cycles - then play back at 2 | 1 | >>

Which becomes 8 | 4 - (with the last 4 cycles playing at half the speed of the previous 8)

Which becomes 1 - 1 - 1 - 1 - 1 - 1 - 1 - 1 - 2 - 2

???

• Members

Do you want it to change note value for the last two beats? If not then its just a matter of counting what you play against an even pulse of tremolo. If you do want it to change note value on those last two beats then you need a more complex sequencer to control a tremolo circuit.

• Members

Do you want it to change note value for the last two beats? If not then its just a matter of counting what you play against an even pulse of tremolo. If you do want it to change note value on those last two beats then you need a more complex sequencer to control a tremolo circuit.

do you mean tempo? then yes, that'd solve the matter.

the sound WOULD work by setting the tremolo to this if it had 5 sequences instead of 4:

2 | 2 | 2 | 2 | 4 |

i'll see if i can do it with the waveshape and my iphone tonight.

Archived