Please could DOD make a come-back?!

gambit

• Members

i noticed this after reading Phil's Spring Theory article..

http://www.harmonycentral.com/docs/DOC-2761

i'd never seen those from DOD before, so went to their website and they only show a bunch of passive mixer/AB/DI boxes, a couple of rack EQ's, the 250 Distortion, the Envelope Filter and Stereo Flanger. that's it.

http://www.dod.com/en-US/product_families

so are they a completely lost hope at this point?

personally, i think with a little re-design (the MXR/XO boxes for starters), there could be a market for either some fun 'wacky' pedals like they used to make, or even just a re-issue of the older 201 Phasor-type one-trick pedals, in the same price range as the EHX nano's, maybe.. :idk:

while everyone else is being all serious, cloning and trying to approximate the sound of a vintage binson echorec with an 18th month old tape etc, there must be a decent enough niche of people who want something a bit more unique and oddball?

it worked for EHX in the 90's, and now look at them!

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

IDK the economics of it but i think it is a pathetically squandered opportunity. i think Digitech should focus on reissuing the Space Station then maybe work on some of their other legacy DOD pedals. personally i think there is enough supply on the used market at reasonable prices but then you look how Audible Disease cloned the Buzz Box & it cost a little less than what it goes for on the used market. it makes you wonder...

i think its similar to what the Big Three are doing, "reissuing" older classic cars & seeing their is a high demand for past glories. you know. its like why not capitalize on that EHX does. Boss does to a certain extent e.g. the FB-2.

• Members

Which era? There are several distinct eras, each with their own charm. DOD is also already experiencing a
little
bit of a revival with the iStomp. We've re-released 5 DOD e-pedals.

probably the 80's era 2-knob pedals. the phaser, chorus, flangers like these:

dod_fx20_001.jpg

..just in the 250 enclosures:

dod250yellow.jpg

those modulations and the analog delay FX-90 are all known to be awesome to a relative minority of people - get a bit of internet buzz going about new DOD pedals and more people will know about them than they did in the 90's "hay day".

no-one can argue with simple yet great-sounding analog effects. just lose the recent enclosure and switch, and make them true bypass (sort of tongue in cheek).. or at least not tone-sucking bypass.

i could even see some of the dirt pedals having a market.. everything from the corrosion to the mystic blues has a use, but re-work the tone controls; basically making the treble control useful rather than a shrieking nightmare above 12 o'clock :p

i think you've mentioned previously that the thought behind the design was for the treble control to add a higher-end prescence rather than acting like most other tone knobs?

• Members

If it were the 70's era, like the 250, 201, 460, 490 etc. would you want exact duplicates or updated versions?

Duplicate = SPST switch, no LED, some units unable to be repro'd due to discontinued chips - or WAY higher prices due to rare chips.

Updated = True Bypass, LED's, modern chips.

• Members

If it were the 70's era, like the 250, 201, 460, 490 etc. would you want exact duplicates or updated versions?

Duplicate = SPST switch, no LED, some units unable to be repro'd due to discontinued chips - or WAY higher prices due to rare chips.

i definitely wouldn't say 100% vintage correct. we need LED's, probably true bypass.. but avoiding modern changes that affect the character of the sounds i'd say. whether that's possible now or not i don't know?

basically, i wouldn't want to buy a new 401 and it sound like an FX-20C for example.

• Members

The FX65 Stereo Chorus is the best that I have played. I bought it 5 years ago for $30 and it has never left my board. I keep it with all of the knobs fully counterclockwise before a gain pedal for kind of a low fi flange effect to pump up leads and with a simple twist of the speed and depth knobs it is a lush chorus. If it dies I am {censored}ed.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTzp-vEGrZGIL2fbC2EFFG

This is an internet shot. Mine is stock and unmodded

• Members

143318d1257699896-fastest-way-get-decent

you know what, with a better EQ system, the grunge could sound amazingly horrendous. for something like this the gain structure could be saved but the tonal ranges changed, (stick a Muff style tone stack on it?) and people might even concede that with true bypass, no battery compartment issues, unusual power jacks etc, that the new run of DOD pedals could eclipse whatever {censored} has been thrown at them for the last decade or two!

• Members

you know what, with a better EQ system, the grunge could sound amazingly horrendous. for something like this the gain structure could be saved but the tonal ranges changed, (stick a Muff style tone stack on it?) and people might even concede that with true bypass, no battery compartment issues, unusual power jacks etc, that the new run of DOD pedals could eclipse whatever {censored} has been thrown at them for the last decade or two!

awww yeah 2:15 for those solid dod toanz

http://vimeo.com/2147472#

• Members

I think most people would want a combination of the two. I adore the style and aesthetics of those pedals too, they would definitely be very attractive to people on that basis alone.

Archived