My first review for PGS is now live!

IRG

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

have a coming out party!

congrats ian. article needs more personality.

OK, I thought about giving it more "character" but at the same time, wanted it to appear professional and readable to any user at PGS. I'll think how I can spice it up more. Anything you want to know about a certain pedal that's not featured here? Or maybe what my favorite beer is?

• Members

OK, I thought about giving it more "character" but at the same time, wanted it to appear professional and readable to any user at PGS. I'll think how I can spice it up more. Anything you want to know about a certain pedal that's not featured here? Or maybe what my favorite beer is?

have your daughter do the intro.

• Members

Who gives a {censored} if you come off as "professional". If there is no you in the reviews, no one will read them and youll be out of the job anyway.

Its not about being some crazy character or filling a review with zingers, its about actually reviewing the pedal and giving us YOUR thoughts and interpretation on the piece. You can not please everyone so don't concern yourself with that {censored}. Maybe you are a vanilla dude and have nothing to really say, who knows, we have never met, but this review needs something.

I read a lot of record reviews still to this day and there are a certain few writers who I have begun to trust and understand due to their personality and I have found really really good records because of them. Same would hold true with pedal reviews or any other review. Whether you love or hate these people, Fuzzboxgirl, kayzer, Gearmandude, JustNick, Andy, Aen (Dwarfcraft), Pop The Chemist, Burgs, etc etc all are making a name for themselves / reviews because their personality is present and folks can actually buy, literally in some cases, what they are selling because it doesnt come off as some smoothed out lowest common denominator bull{censored}.

I dont do youtube demos and a lot of folks cant stand my often acidic tone but I cant tell you how many times folks have asked me my opinion on a piece of gear because they "know my opinion will be unvarnished" and I have tried a ton of gear over the years. Try to *unvarnish* yourself a little buddy.

• Members

Who gives a {censored} if you come off as "professional". If there is no you in the reviews, no one will read them and youll be out of the job anyway.

Its not about being some crazy character or filling a review with zingers, its about actually reviewing the pedal and giving us YOUR thoughts and interpretation on the piece. You can not please everyone so don't concern yourself with that {censored}. Maybe you are a vanilla dude and have nothing to really say, who knows, we have never met, but this review needs something.

I read a lot of record reviews still to this day and there are a certain few writers who I have begun to trust and understand due to their personality and I have found really really good records because of them. Same would hold true with pedal reviews or any other review. Whether you love or hate these people, Fuzzboxgirl, kayzer, Gearmandude, JustNick, Andy, Aen (Dwarfcraft), Pop The Chemist, Burgs, etc etc all are making a name for themselves / reviews because their personality is present and folks can actually buy, literally in some cases, what they are selling because it doesnt come off as some smoothed out lowest common denominator bull{censored}.

I dont do youtube demos and a lot of folks cant stand my often acidic tone but I cant tell you how many times folks have asked me my opinion on a piece of gear because they "know my opinion will be unvarnished" and I have tried a ton of gear over the years. Try to *unvarnish* yourself a little buddy.

Well said.

The review does seem a bit "rigid".

• Members

OK, thanks guys. I do get it. I also work (day job) in a pretty conservative field, in terms of how I need to act, etc. Probably a lot of that, translates into this type of work. I'll try harder to separate the two.

I also approach reviews a bit differently. Sometimes I see reviews that either seem mean spirited on purpose, or are just plain looking at the glass half empty, and never seeing the positive side of things. Part of this can (should) change in life when you have kids. Weird thing to say perhaps, but you can't just knock your kids down (figuratively, not literally of course) when they don't get something, or do something wrong - or just not the way you would do it, instead you try to praise them, to give them positive reinforcement.

So I try and do the same thing here, look at all the good aspects of a piece of equipment, without ignoring its shortcomings, but not to make that the center of the article.

But I get the points from SAL, and they're actually very helpful, no offense taken here at all. I can spice it up some, with it still being true, and hopefully interesting. Not sure I'm going to rewrite the other 4, they take longer than you think, and this is just a side gig anyway. But I definitely want the reviews to be helpful to people when they're contemplating spending their hard earned dollars on this piece of gear.

• Members

OK, thanks guys. I do get it. I also work (day job) in a pretty conservative field, in terms of how I need to act, etc. Probably a lot of that, translates into this type of work. I'll try harder to separate the two.

I also approach reviews a bit differently. Sometimes I see reviews that either seem mean spirited on purpose, or are just plain looking at the glass half empty, and never seeing the positive side of things. Part of this can (should) change in life when you have kids. Weird thing to say perhaps, but you can't just knock your kids down (figuratively, not literally of course) when they don't get something, or do something wrong - or just not the way you would do it, instead you try to praise them, to give them positive reinforcement.

So I try and do the same thing here, look at all the good aspects of a piece of equipment, without ignoring its shortcomings, but not to make that the center of the article.

But I get the points from SAL, and they're actually very helpful, no offense taken here at all. I can spice it up some, with it still being true, and hopefully interesting. Not sure I'm going to rewrite the other 4, they take longer than you think, and this is just a side gig anyway. But I definitely want the reviews to be helpful to people when they're contemplating spending their hard earned dollars on this piece of gear.

I wasn't trying to be mean spirited, just offering up some notes. Would you like me to be mean spirited?

• Members

I prefer video demos where the person does very little talking. Explain what each knob does, then play. Avoid useless words like warm, syrupy, crunchy, gnarly, transparent. Just play the stupid guitar and let ME decide how it sounds.

{censored} ill take it even further and say the reason I love Kayzer's demos so much is because he says nothing at all. Just plays a lot of little segments flexing all the pedals wild / conservative settings.

• Members

I wasn't trying to be mean spirited, just offering up some notes. Would you like me to be mean spirited?

No! And I wasn't referring to your post as mean spirited, it was more of a generality, like movie or album reviews, people like Simon Cowell when he was on American Idol, lol. It's always easy to criticize someone, harder to actually make the product/art, etc. So I try and keep that in perspective. So I doubt I'll go in the direction of being critical (when it's necessary, sure) but maybe interject more humor into it. I think you'll see that come out more.

• Members

I agree with SAL.

That review was thorough and nice enough... but it was a pretty boring read (and a bit wordy at times, too). Tighten it up and try putting more of yourself in there. Unless that was you... in which case, try to write like somebody more entertaining.

• Members

{censored} ill take it even further and say the reason I love Kayzer's demos so much is because he says nothing at all. Just plays a lot of little segments flexing all the pedals wild / conservative settings.

Some demos are great, and don't need any talking. Some demos though, know matter how well done, can't give you a certain essence of a pedal, compressors for one, actually this tremolo was another. There's something you have to hear yourself, and demos or articles can't always capture that accurately. In the end, there just another set of tools that help the consumer make better informed decisions, but always helps to hear/play with the actual product if possible. I know where I live, for the most part that is not possible, unless it's Boss or Digitech you want to buy. So reviews of all sorts are helpful, as are forums, magazines, etc.

Archived