OT: How do you overcome writer's block?

ILOVEMYFENDER

• Members

I feel like I have a ton of emotions that I really want to get down to tape but at the same time I'm having trouble coming up with chord progressions, melodies, and lyrics, which is incredibly frustrating. Seriously, I feel broken. I used to spit out songs daily, but now I feel creatively dead.

So what do you guys do to overcome/cure this?

• Members

You power through it.

Stop assessing and critiquing the music you're doing so early in the writing process. Press record and play. Build on that for awhile and try to make something out of it no matter how bad it is. It may not happen that day, but something will come out of that.

• Members

I feel like I have a ton of emotions that I really want to get down to tape but at the same time I'm having trouble coming up with chord progressions, melodies, and lyrics, which is incredibly frustrating. Seriously, I feel broken. I used to spit out songs daily, but now I feel creatively dead.

so, do you come up with chord progressions first, melodies next, lyrics last? what's your normal routine for writing a song? whatever it is, do the reverse for a bit.

• Members

Honestly, I don't think there is a way to overcome writers block. Inspiration comes in a million forms and they are all personal to each and every one of us. I say let go of your sonywriting expectations and it will come in time. It could be anything that gives you a songwriting kick start so I would simply recommend setting some mics up on an amp / acoustic and just being at the ready if / when inspiration strikes.

• Members

Force it out like a rough deuce. Pick some chords, pick some words and call it a song. Songs about girls, songs about beer, songs about getting kicked in the dick, doesn't matter. Not everything you crank out is going to be a gem - in fact, lots of it will be pretty lame - but songwriting *is* a practiced art, and writing regularly helps you stay on top of your game. That way, when inspiration finally does strike, you're in a good spot to really flesh it out.

• Members

stay away from gear message boards and spend time with musicians in the real world :lol:

• Members

Use the form of songs you like as vessels for your own songs. Write your own lyrics to the melody of a song you dig, then write a new melody. You could even take the chord progression from a different song you like, put it in a different key or change the harmonic rhythm and then try to sing those lyrics you just wrote over it. Buy a drum machine, program a groove and play over it. Put on some classical or ambient music and try to write a song over it.

Archived